Gilbert Arenas Would Rather Die Than Vote | Truth About It.net

Gilbert Arenas Would Rather Die Than Vote

Updated: August 5, 2008

Gilbert Arenas would rather be this guy than vote - flickr/mdumlao98
While Gilbert Arenas’ latest blog post is entitled This is Kwame’s Year, (more on than later) the bombshell that Arenas dropped was his opinion on the American political process.

Much akin to Charles Barkley, Gil kinda/sorta admits to being a Republican:

It’s hard for me to vote, because since I’ve been in the NBA I’ve been in the upper class so I’ve been a Republican. If you have any type of money, you’re a Republican, period. So, it’s hard because you see a better looking president in Obama – I don’t even want to say because he’s black, but he just looks the part – and then you have McCain who is Republican and I’m like, man. I know Obama is going to raise taxes on the upper class from 20-60 percent, that’s what I’m looking at.

Of course, Barkley “was a Republican until they lost their minds.”

But essentially, Arenas is saying that he doesn’t vote, isn’t even registered to vote, because of the 2000 Presidential election between Bush and Gore, and because he wants to avoid jury duty. He doesn’t want to be apart of a high profile case because his house might get blown up as it happens in the movies.

To be honest, I stopped paying attention a long time ago when it was Bush and Gore when Gore won the popular vote, but Bush was the president.
———
There’s another reason I don’t vote – I don’t want jury duty. If you’re not registered to vote, you can’t get jury duty. I know that campaign Diddy had a couple years ago, “Vote or Die,” yeah if the alternative is jury duty, I’m going to die. I’m not going to get in one of these cases where they blow the jury members’ houses up to get out of the trial, I’m cool. I’ve seen too many movies.

I’d like to say that I’m not surprised by Gil’s statements, but I am. Sure, we can all get jaded by the political process in the United States. And I’m not here to debate the electoral college vs. popular vote…..although I will say that some laws are outdated and need to be revised. But at least Democracy in America, (albeit ranked 17th in the world by the Economist) is much better than the alternative experienced by others. Basically, I appreciate what I have.

On the other hand, it’s okay to not “just” appreciate the status quo. It’s okay to question. It’s okay to desire change.

But to stop paying attention because of one questionable election is ridiculous. Should we stop rooting for Arenas because of all the B.S. he’s pulled?

Sure, we should expect more of the American political process than we should expect from just another silly basketball player. But still, to disregard the right to vote because of a single incident is absolutely absurd. I also must mention that our judicial system, which certainly has it’s flaws as well, still allows us to be judged by a jury of our peers and not the government…..but that doesn’t matter to Gilbert who would rather live in his cocoon of money, grottos, and shark tanks.

People of all races and creeds have died for the right to vote, the right to a democratic government. To disregard in such a fatalistic manner is yet another sign of Gilbert Arenas’ immaturity. On second thought, I guess I’m really not all that surprised.

[UPDATE: Gilbert Arenas Now Thinks Voting Is A Joking Matter]

1. Dean

August 5, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I, like you, shouldn’t be surprised but I am. He and other professional athletes do a lot of good, charitable work for the community but it re-raises the issue of thinking too highly of people we only get glimpses of. I am not suggesting that Gil and other athletes/entertainers are not people that shouldn’t be admired but rather that they take that responsibility more seriously. They are in a unique position to influence others and being a well-rounded and informed citizen in addition to an athlete would be a better example to our youth.

2. IncandescentRex

August 5, 2008 at 5:18 pm

(Big Sigh). I like Arenas but even if he’s halfway joking, this is really pathetic. His reasoning that he was turned off by the Bush/Gore election is BS. If he’s such a Republican then why would he be upset that Bush won? The real reason is like a lot of celebs, he’s just too self-centered and uninformed. If you’re going to be this stupid, at very least, keep it to yourself Gilbert and don’t brag about it on a blog.

3. Jarrett

August 5, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Arenas endears himself to millions of people the world over with his Everyman view on life, and this sentiment is not an exception.

I find it refreshing that an athlete is willing to talk about his political views, when so many are so willing to keep silent for endorsements and image maintenance.

4. IncandescentRex

August 6, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Jarret-
    I generally like Arenas and find his being an outspoken person entertaining but there’s a limit to everything. For instance, I wouldn’t be cool with Arenas saying something like “I don’t wear seat belts when I drive in cars because it doesnt look cool and its just feels annoying” or “Condoms are too much of a hassle, i just use the pull out method”, even though a large segment of the country may agree with those statements.

5. DMtShooter

August 7, 2008 at 7:13 am

Many places take jury duty from DMV records. So Zero can still get tabbed for the bare minimum of citizenship. The poor baby.

6. Marcus

August 7, 2008 at 5:40 pm

As a black man in this country, I find Gilbert, whom I generally like, to be a real disappointment. Thanks for perpetuating the stereotype of the apethetic black American.

7. GrapplerKe

September 26, 2008 at 8:02 pm

I hope Gilbert Arenas becomes crippled throughout his entire career. He’s nothing but a rich pampered slave in this society. Because of his ignorance, his money isn’t going to last more than 1 or 2 generations at best. At least Charles Barkley has a brain and decided to use it to make a difference. I’d rather have someone like Jordan, who doesn’t talk about his materialistic selfishness and just win games. Yeah…winning, someone Arenas should learn how to do rather than 1st round exits.

Keep choking on those free throws, Gil. You’re ignorant and worthless, and like the poster above me said, you perpetuate the stereotype of Black Americans.

This is the reason I don’t give a damn about undeserving stupid rich athletes.

8. Alfred

October 28, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Dear Gilbert Arenas,
    Life is so much more than basketball. You must practice individual Civic responsibility not just for yourself but your community,and as homage to those who have died for you to have the right to partake in the process.

Don’t be an idiot, VOTE and if you don’t vote at least be smart enough to not mention it to the world or you get people like me who will no longer support you as a player in the NBA.

9. john

October 30, 2008 at 7:40 am

So Gilbert if you became a broke man you would become a democrat and vote for Obama. You would do this just to get a tax break. Listen you might be the victim of a violent crime. Imagine due process didn’t work for you and there were no jurors that wanted to here your case and a guilty person was set free. Free to continue to prey on those with money that have lost there minds. Remeber money doesn’t make the man.

10. Tapestry055

November 3, 2008 at 12:21 am

I love Gil, but his ‘vote or die’ comments are disappointing and a slam dunk for cowardice. It is awfully shallow to think that money and material gain should define your political party. They are both seasonal at best. Money may define your economic wealth, but don’t let it define your worth, Gil. I am sure that some poor Black/Negro/Colored man who gave his life for (your)EEO,civil and voter rights would tell you, Gil (and Redskins’ Smoot): “I don’t care who you vote for, JUST VOTE–I’ve already DIED.”

11. Anonymous

November 9, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I agree w/ EVERY single poster above. NOW he's jumping on the bandwagon w/ tattoos, etc., and he's going to try to give our very CLASSY president-elect a jersey, get his autograph etc.!!!! I hope Mr. Obama is told before hand that this knuckle-head didn't even vote & politely declines his offer. Gil is concerned about his taxes? Maybe he shouldn't have spent $1 mil on his 25th b-day party. He is an embarrasment & doesn't have enough to shut up after being so vocal about NOT VOTING!!!! Gil if this is 'change we can believe in' per your tattoos – why didn't you believe enough to at least vote – even McCain (since you profess to be a Republican)????????? Whew! How sad!

12. bushputz

February 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

You say you’re a Republican because you’re in the upper class.
    That’s not it. You’re a Republican because you don’t give a damn about anyone except yourself. You’re a selfish, ignorant piece of work.
    You aren’t willing to pay the price of living in a democratic society. You refuse to vote because you don’t want jury duty? Seriously?
    You may see yourself as upper class – I see you being without ANY class.