I’ve looked up all the online previews of the Washington Wizards that I care to look up and the results are below. For those that predicted the actual 2008-2009 record for the Wizards (17 instances), the average is 39.12 wins and 42.88 losses, which unfortunately sounds just about right (if you round).
Will that be good enough to get Washington into the playoffs? Who knows….people claim that the Eastern Conference is much improved. In the past 20 seasons, only 11 sub-.500 teams have made the playoffs in the East, with four of those instances coming in the past three seasons, and three of them coming in ’91-92.
- Hoops Avenue: 45-37
- Sparty & Friends: between 41 and 46 wins, so 43.5 (38.5 losses)
- Hoops Playground: 43-39
- OddandNews.com: 43-39
- Truth About It: 41-41
- Hoops Addict: 41-41
- AccuScore.com: 41-41
- Bullets Forever: 40-42
- The Bleacher Report: 40-42 *Pre-Haywood injury prediction was 43 wins
- Upside and Motor: 39-43
- Slam Online: between 37 and 40 wins, so 38.5 (43.5 losses)
- FanBay.net: 38-44
- The Big Lead: 37-45
- John Hollinger: 36-46
- Future Ramblings: 35-47
- Ball Don’t Lie: 34-48
- EA NBA Live 08: 30-52
Other Previews (without predicted records):
- Dime Magazine: Another first-round exit
- Gilbertology: He probably won’t be able to play at the same level that he did before he was injured right off the bat, but even an 85% effective Gilbert Arenas can go a long way in getting the Wizards in the playoff hunt and possibly back into the second round for the first time since 2005.
- Hardwood Paroxysm: I still envision them making it to the playoffs, but could they beat the Celtics, Pistons, Magic, Cavaliers, Raptors, or 76ers in a first round matchup, even if completely healthy? No.
- Hoops World: Four pick the Wizards to finish 2nd in the Southeast, one first.
- Recliner GM: One guy: 3rd place, Southeast division/8th place, Eastern conference/16th place, NBA; Another guy: 2nd place, Southeast division/7th place, Eastern conference/16th place, NBA
- The Scores Report: If all goes well, the Wizards will be safely in the playoffs.
- The Sporting News: Three knee surgeries since April 2007? Arenas sure looks to be awfully susceptible to injury. He is pushing for an early December return. Put him down for late January, though.