What Do the Redskins and A Tribe Called Quest have in common?
In the past, the Washington Redskins were ‘messing me up, my whole head….teasing me, just like Tisha, did Martin,’ but now those days are over, and the quest for something bigger seems attainable for the tribe called Redskins Nation.
How did this team go from finding a way to lose to finding a way to win? Could the simple difference be a rookie head coach who wasn’t hired to captain the ship in the first place? A Cowboys fan, having lost that smirking smile at the losing ways of the Skins, seemed to find solace in telling me that Joe Gibbs should have been let go three years ago. Not so fast my friend. Joe Gibbs laid the foundation, allowing the current players to become men. Jim Zorn came along and has let those men loose.
Zorn has left ‘job on the line’ decision making out of his coaching strategy. In doing so, he’s brought “guts” to his team, and gained the respect of the players, all while providing a calming presence which allows for the disregard of an early 14 point deficit in the hostile territory of a division rival.
Under Jim Zorn, ‘panic’ is not part of the job description of the Washington Redskins. He’ll leave the ‘finger on the red button’ mentality to the obsessive-compulsive fans of the DC area.
Now, I must admit, upon going down by two TDs, I sent the following text message to my friends, “Boy, we look greeeeeeat. Yep, we’ll lose to the Rams next week.” Of course, my text was pessimism with intent, in mocking reference to the negativity I displayed during the Saints win. Was I genuinely concerned? As an endorser of Clinton Portis would say, “You betcha.” But did I believe my sarcastic fatalism would somehow reverse the fortunes of the day? That’s the story I’m sticking with.
What The World Wide Web Is Saying:
- “Just who the hell is this team? For the fourth game in a row, the final seconds ticked off the clock and Jason Campbell was taking a knee. ‘Skins fans haven’t seen anything like this in years.”
[Addicted to Zorn: Redskins Handle Eagles After Slow Start – DCist]
- “After the week one loss to the Giants, if someone said the Redskins wouldn’t turn the ball over for the next four games, and they’d be 4-1, we might have said, ‘yeah, right. And Dexter Manley opened a book at Oklahoma State.'”
[Your Biggest NFL Surprise: Washington Redskins – The Big Lead]
- The DC Optimist continues to take issue with Sports Illustrated’s Peter King….and rightly so. But when it comes to sports, and the teams I follow, I’d rather play it Rodney Dangerfield style….because winning after getting no respect is that much sweeter.
- Mr. Irrelevant has Lil’ Danny Snyder being Michael Scott Part Deux. For some reason, I think the lil’ fella has a some Brick Tamland in him too…….or the comparison Stet Sports makes, Steve Lattimer.
- Philly fans like their classy in the form of eggs and flipping the bird….via the DC Sports Bog. Clearly, the Redskins did not get the headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety. [If you didn’t see that classic Family Guy episode from Sunday night, here’s the Wiki.]
- Santana Moss is NOT Terrell Owens:
“He had to make a decision weeks ago of how he was gonna react to a game like this, and he never came off the sidelines saying, you know, ‘How come you’re not getting me the ball? I mean, don’t you know who I am? I’m Santana Moss.’ He didn’t say anything like that. He just kept after it.” -Jim Zorn via the DC Sports Bog
- NOBODY ASKED ME (but Wizards) — Media Partners, Beal’s Disrespect & Preseason Basketball
- Key Legislature: Wizards 115 vs Cavs 121 — The Old Switcheroo and Kyrie Too
- The Return of Fun and Unbridled Optimism: Are the Wizards Ready?
- LeBron Says RGIII Won't Make Him a Redskins Fan After Losing to Wizards