By the look on your face, I’ll assume the Wizards lost.
The party has been effing ruined. I missed the Wizards game last night and have yet to decide if I’ll watch it on DVR….although, it will be damn hard to resist reliving an 22 point “thriller.” I guess I could always look for more Andray Blatche crop dusting incidents. But now that he’s in street clothes, he might get all fancy on us.
Best in Show:
How bad was it? Consider that the Wiz reserves were outscored 50-14 by the Heat reserves. Bottom line: this Wizards team looks a lot like the Miami team that won only 15 games last season. Some of these young guys have potential but the gap in confidence and NBA ability we’re witnessing on a nightly basis is scary.
There’s no other way to put it other than this is a bad Wizards team. Only 14 assists opposed to 18 turnovers that went for 26 Miami points? The Heat didn’t shoot well at all — just 39 percent — but they made 10 3-pointers and 19 of 22 free throws. That made the difference right there.
“It’s the same thing we’ve seen so many times this season,” said Butler, who also had six turnovers as he and Jamison were again swarmed by an opposing defense. “Play well for a half or three quarters but then have problems in the fourth and lose. That’s just been our season.”
“We talked about that at the half, about playing with discipline and within our design,” Tapscott said. “That’s critical for us, particularly with so many young guys. Random basketball hurts us.”
“It means more minutes for JaVale McGee, and I was kidding Oleksiy Pecherov, saying, ‘Your slow march to a starting position continues.’ And Darius [Songaila] said he was worried about being poisoned – in jest.” - Wizards coach Ed Tapscott on the eagerness of his seldom-used young players for playing time after Andray Blatche’s injury
[D.C. can only watch - Washington Times]
Athletic failure is as much a part of the D.C. scene as the White House, the U.S. Capitol and Beltway traffic. The Bullets/Wizards won their last NBA championship in 1978. The Redskins haven’t collected the Lombardi Trophy since the 1991 season. We haven’t celebrated a World Series title since 1924. And the Caps’ next grab of Lord Stanley’s cup will be their first.
[photo source: flickr/Katie@!]
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards at Bucks, Game 15
- Pour Out a Little Liquor for All the Ex-Wizards, the 2013-14 NBA Season is Here
- Things About the 2013-14 Wizards Schedule That You Must Know Because It’s The Internet
- 2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side A: Photographic Evidence of Wizards
- This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is Upon Us: JaVale McGee Handed Keys to Denver Nuggets
- Ernie Grunfeld: Offensive for Over a Decade, How’d He Get So Defensive? (Pt. 2)
- How to Alienate Players and Lose a Lot of Games: The Washington Wizards Way
- DC Council Game 53: Wizards 119 vs Nuggets 113: Flying Feet & Paint Toughness Run Denver Out of Town