For Wizards/Bullets Fans, The Price Was NOT Right
Price, the current Atlanta Hawks shooting coach, may still be right for Cleveland Cavaliers fans, but that’s far from the case for Wizards/Bullets fans.
A reminder of how the Cavs fleeced former Bullets GM, John Nash (from this May ’08 post):
Price, then 31, didn’t even make it to the beginning of the season before getting injured which left Nash scrambling to acquire Robert “The Original Pac Man” Pack from the Denver Nuggets for Doug “Philly’s Finest” Overton and Don “Oft-injured ‘gym rat’ who tested positive for steroids in 2000″ MacLean, just days before opening night. Mark Price played only 7 games in that 95-96 season…..I also blame Nash’s “Curse O’ Les Boulez” inducing trade for Webber only playing 15 games that year. But I digress…
Back to that 12th pick in 96 … Cleveland used it to select overpaid bust, Vitaly Potapenko. Who was taken 13th? None other than the 2008 MVP, Kobe Bryant. The likes of Peja Stojakovic (14), Steve Nash (15), Jermaine O’Neal (17), and Zydrunas Ilgauskas (20) followed. I just love hindsight….and coincidentally, Nash was forced to resign in April of ’96.
I remember the lore of Mark Price, I remember it well. Excited I was as a young 15-year old, only be disappointed by one of the many marks on the wall of my NBA fandom jail cell indicating another failed franchise season due to injury. When the Bullets finally got their act together, putting together seven wins in a row from late-March to early-April, they lost their last four of the season, finishing a mere three games behind the Miami Heat for the last playoff spot in the East.
Price was damaged good before he even arrived in DC, but that’s just our luck, isn’t it?
Thanks for nothing Mark Price.
“The price is wrong, bitch.” -Happy Gilmore
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards at Raptors, Game 58
- Portraits, Vignettes & Instagrams from 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans
- Randy Wittman and Andre Miller: Random Game Facts About Their Previous Relationship (Shawn Kemp was present)
- 2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side A: Photographic Evidence of Wizards
- This Week in Stupid NBA Basketball Stuff: Roy Hibbert and Some Heat Fan
- DC Council Game 65: Wizards 127 vs Suns 105: Phoenix Buried in Ashes with Pace and Points
- Watching the Rim or Ball: Where Do You Look When The Shot Leaves Your Hands?
- DC Council Game 36: Wizards 94 at Kings 95: Game-Changing Free Throw Misses from the Game Changer