Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
- VIDEO: Marcin Gortat on Twitter Critics, Bomb Threats from Bulls Fans, and ‘Everyday Stuff’
- Thanks For the Empty Pixels: Putting the 2004-10 Wizards in Your Rearview Mirror
- D.C. Council 69: Wizards 117 at Lakers 107: Wall and Wiz Sweep Hollywood Issues Under the Rug
- Opening Statements: Wizards at Lakers, Game 69
Recent TAI Posts
- Kevin Seraphin: Will Remain A Wizard, Will Sit Out FIBA World Cup Due to Knee Surgery July 24, 2014
- Bradley Beal: 2013-14 Washington Wizards Player Review July 24, 2014
- 2014 NBA Summer League Round-Up: Non-Wizards Edition July 23, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Lose to Kings in Semifinals, Leave Summer League 5-1 July 22, 2014
- Superofficial Subjective Gut Feelings about Kevin Durant’s Hypothetical Wizards Future July 21, 2014
- Jan Vesely Packs His Bags for Europe, Perhaps For Good July 20, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Rice & Porter Spur Wizards to Classic Summer League Victory in Triple-OT July 20, 2014
- Bradley Beal on Paul Pierce, Otto Porter, and Summer in Las Vegas July 18, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Wake Up Late to Advance in NBA Summer League Tourney July 18, 2014
- Paul Pierce Carries the Clutch, With an Assist from Jason Kidd July 17, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Escape Heat, Move to 3-0 in Summer League July 16, 2014
- VIDEO: Cassell on Porter & Rice: ‘Their swagger, you can see it from miles away’ July 15, 2014