Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
Recent TAI Posts
- Time is a Flat Circle — Ernie Grunfeld as the Yellow King March 10, 2014
- D.C. Council Game 62: Wizards 114 at Bucks 107: Wiz Nearly Skunked Suds in Brew City March 9, 2014
- Wizards at Bucks: the Game 62 Story via Twitter: Gooden Revenge Game Rescued by Beal March 9, 2014
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards at Bucks, Game 62 March 8, 2014
- Richard Jefferson on Gilbert Arenas, Just Because March 8, 2014
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn March 6, 2014
- Ariza, Bruh: A Chill Life From Beyond the Arc Speaks After Playing Jazz March 6, 2014
- When Steve Buckhantz Was Given a Twitter Lesson by The WizzNutzz March 6, 2014