Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
All Recent Posts
- Wizards Looking to Recover with Frenzy of Moves July 5, 2016
- Team Talk With Garrett Temple: Q&A from Gortat’s Camp in Poland July 2, 2016
- Mad Max: Wizards Move $128 Million for Bradley Beal July 1, 2016
- Ranking 25 Free Agents for the Washington Wizards June 29, 2016
- What On Earth is Kevin Durant Thinking? June 28, 2016
- Asking David Adkins: Q&A from Gortat’s Camp in Poland June 27, 2016
- In the 2016 NBA Draft, the Washington Wizards Select… June 22, 2016
- Juwan Howard Reminisces About the Good Ol’ Bullets Days June 10, 2016
- ShareBullets: Big Panda in Asia, Max Deals, Offseason Blues May 31, 2016
- Gortat on Coaching Changes, Summer Plans, and Finding Love for Basketball — Dispatches from Poland May 3, 2016
- But What About Scott Brooks’ Analytics? And the Children, Of Course April 28, 2016
- Brooks is Here — Wizards Seek Redemption with New Head Coach April 22, 2016
- Key Legislature: Wizards 120 at Nets 111 — Elusive .500 Record So Close, So Far Away April 13, 2016
- Key Legislature: Wizards 113 vs Hornets 98 — Dancing On Their Own Grave Like Nobody’s Watching April 10, 2016
- Key Legislature: Wizards at Pistons — You May Now Rest in Peace April 9, 2016
- This Isn’t The First Wizards Ride on the Must-Win Rodeo April 8, 2016
- Key Legislature: Wizards 121 vs Nets 103 — Without Wall, Washington Weathers Storm April 7, 2016
- Washington Twitches Briefly to Life after Unofficial Death — Wizards vs Nets, DC Council 78 April 7, 2016
- Crossed Up and Shot Down in LA — Wizards at Clippers, DC Council 77 April 6, 2016
- Gortat on the Season, the Offseason, and Driving Taxis — Dispatches from Poland April 5, 2016