Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
All Recent Posts
- Unpacking the 2015-16 Wizards Schedule — Hitting the Road and Staying Fresh August 17, 2016
- Here’s the Thing About the Wizards’ Offseason: It Could Have Been Worse August 12, 2016
- The 2016-17 Wizards Schedule Is Out — Here’s What You Need To Know August 11, 2016
- Vegas is Not Aaron White’s Kind of Town July 16, 2016
- Summer League Day 5 — Crazy Kelly, Clutch Eddie, Trevor Booker, and a Bullets Cameo July 13, 2016
- REAX: Wizards Summer League Game 3 — Eddie Stole The Ball! Eddie Stole The Ball! July 13, 2016
- From Wizard to King: Garrett Temple Talks Free Agency and His Former Team July 12, 2016
- Dispatch From Vegas: Jared Dudley Offers Post-Mortem on Underwhelming Season July 11, 2016
- John Wall Talks Shop at Summer League July 11, 2016
- Summer League Day 3 — In Which the Wiz Kids Get Lost in Transition (Defense) July 11, 2016
- REAX: Wizards Summer League Game 2 — Death by 3-Pointer July 10, 2016
- Live from Las Vegas: NBA Summer League Day 2 July 10, 2016
- Wave Papi into the Summer: Kelly Oubre Jr. Opens in Vegas July 10, 2016