Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
Progress, You Say?
Bradley Beal and Long 2-Pointers.
Feed the Polish Machine
All Recent Posts
- Better Know a Wizards Fan: Redskins Man Edition (aka ‘Pump it Up’ Man) December 18, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 109 vs Timberwolves 95 — Game Changer Goes Dog Whisperer December 17, 2014
- DC Council 24: Wizards vs Timberwolves — Flip Saunders Back On Subway Diet December 17, 2014
- Flip Saunders on Building John Wall and Cleaning Gutters December 17, 2014
- Wizards vs Timberwolves in 70 Tweets — Wall and Rasual Flip Switch on Timberpups December 17, 2014
- Flip Saunders Name-Drops JaVale McGee, Pierre Responds on Twitter (VIDEO) December 17, 2014
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Timberwolves, Game 24 December 16, 2014
- Progress, You Say? Bradley Beal and Long 2-Pointers December 15, 2014
- DC Council 23: Wizards vs Jazz — Sweet Sounds of a Sunday Night Victory December 15, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 93 vs Jazz 84 — Washington Wins Despite 7 PM Arrival for 6 PM Game December 15, 2014
- Wizards vs Jazz in 75 Tweets — Wall Grabs Wheel, Takes BW Parkway December 14, 2014
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Jazz, Game 23 December 14, 2014