Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
All Recent Posts
- Wizards Clinch Playoff Berth, What’s Next? March 25, 2017
- From The Other Side: The Anatomy of Brooklyn’s Blowout Loss in Washington March 25, 2017
- Washington Gets Woke Late, Edges Atlanta March 24, 2017
- Wednesday Wizards Win In Unconventional Fashion March 23, 2017
- Where, Oh Where, Have The Tough Wizards Gone? March 22, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why The Wizards Did Not Peak Too Early March 21, 2017
- The Wiz Hold Off The Charging Bulls, Thanks To Wall’s Career Night March 18, 2017
- Collapse Against Big D — Mavericks Outlast Wizards March 17, 2017
- The Washington Wizards Could Use A Good Therapist March 16, 2017
- Wizards Left Panting in Minnesota, Finish Road Trip Just Shy of Perfection March 14, 2017
- The Cardiac Wiz Kids Steal An Overtime Win In Portland March 12, 2017
- Wizards Get Memo Just In Time For Comeback Win Over Kings March 11, 2017
- Wizards Have Just Enough Punch to Win the Fight in Denver March 9, 2017