Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
All Recent Posts
- How the Wizards Shaped a Game 5 Win Over the Hawks April 27, 2017
- ShareBullets: Wizards-Hawks Series Roundup April 26, 2017
- Opening Statements – Game 5 Wizards vs. Hawks: Something’s Gotta Give April 26, 2017
- After Four Games, It’s Clear: The Hawks Are Coming April 25, 2017
- The Wizards’ Shooting Woes Allow Hawks Back Into the Series April 24, 2017
- Wizards Miss the Mark in Game 3, Now Must Find Keys to the Car April 24, 2017
- Foul Play: Suspect Whistles And Brooks’ Daughter Holding Coach Accountable April 22, 2017
- House of ‘Clutch’ Guards Chops Up Atlanta April 21, 2017
- Officials Blow Whistles; Also, NBA Event Happens; Wizards and Hawks Participated April 21, 2017
- Dwight Howard is the New Carlos Boozer, and Other Wizards-Hawks Observations April 20, 2017
- ShareBullets: Death Row DC, MMA, and John with the Shades April 19, 2017
- Wizards-Hawks Game 1: Washington Wins, But Not Without Red Flags April 17, 2017
- The Unveiling Of “Playoff Markieff” April 17, 2017