Paging Dr. JaVale McGee, The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down
With Haywood back in the fold, there might not be a lot of minutes at the center position. Saunders might not lean on [JaVale McGee] too much if he starts believing his own hype and focuses more on video and music production and less on rebounding and blocking shots.
This may not be the first jigging of the knob on the door of criticism should McGee struggle next season, citing his “extra curricular” social media activity as a possible target for blame.
When the guy is having slumber parties with Nick Young, staying up until 7 a.m. and making videos about playing doctor, pointing out potential connections between sophomoric activities and performance on the court is easy to do.
But when it comes from a Wizards/NBA beat reporter for the Washington Post, it can be seen as a subtle, but valid challenge to McGee, preemptively opening the inevitable eyes of Wizards Nation.
Is it fair for Lee, in his Wizards insider blog post, ‘Who’s Ready For A Breakout Season?’, to call out McGee?
JaVale can certainly be both a budding social media maven, and TCOB basketball-wise. But when he’s starting to be more known for internet silliness than for work in commendable areas, such as Randy Foye, it can be a sign to some old-school heads that he’s not ready for ‘big boy’ business.
Akin to winning being able to quell complaints about playing time (usually), if McGee works hard, no one will care about what he does on YouTube and Twitter. But be sure that if he winds up in the doghouse, mentions of his non-basketball activities will be abundant.
Regardless, this year is going to be a test for McGee, and absolutely anything can be construed as a distraction. Minutes in the frontcourt are for the taking. Epic Vale just needs to figure out if he wants to pickup the thrown down gauntlet and accept the challenge.
Also see… The debut of McGee’s new short: ‘Cookies’
Speaking of the Wizards’ in the paint…
Do The Wizards Have The Third Best Frontcourt in the League?
The Hoop Doctors seem to think so.
- VIDEO: Marcin Gortat on Twitter Critics, Bomb Threats from Bulls Fans, and ‘Everyday Stuff’
- Thanks For the Empty Pixels: Putting the 2004-10 Wizards in Your Rearview Mirror
- D.C. Council 69: Wizards 117 at Lakers 107: Wall and Wiz Sweep Hollywood Issues Under the Rug
- Opening Statements: Wizards at Lakers, Game 69
Recent TAI Posts
- Float On, DeJuan: What You Need to Know About Blair August 29, 2014
- Much Ado About Scheduling: How the Wizards Will Win National TV Hearts August 21, 2014
- Kris Humphries, Fancy Stats, and Why the Wizards Chose Right in Free Agency August 20, 2014
- Nene Maintains as Brazil Falls to U.S. in Saturday Night Friendly August 17, 2014
- No Names and Pro Names of the 2014 Las Vegas NBA Summer League August 13, 2014
- Pixels from Camp in Poland: A Stop in the Summer of Gortat August 12, 2014
- 3-on-3: Wall and Beal Cut from Team USA, Cassell’s Depature, and Continued #KSlife August 5, 2014
- Drew Gooden for Team Finland at the FIBA World Cup? Plus Other Wizards and Ex-Wizards August 4, 2014
- Sam Cassell Leaves Washington for LA Clippers, Will Be Missed by Wizards August 3, 2014
- Marcin Gortat on Love, Loneliness, and the Polish Struggle July 31, 2014
- A Story About A Story About A Boy from Seat Pleasant, Kevin Durant July 30, 2014
- Tomas Satoransky on Barcelona, Messi, JC Navarro, and a Wizards Future July 30, 2014