Blatche Makes Cupcakes, LaVar Arrington Posts Up Arenas, and Training Camp Day 1
First up, our friend Andray Blatche. What you will see in the video embedded below:
- Andray making cupcakes at Red Velvet.
- Andray eating cupcakes and drinking a juice box with NBC 4′s Lindsay Czarniak.
- Andray’s mini-jersey chain bling.
And now LaVar Arrington posting up Gilbert Arenas … and missing the bunny.
As you can see, so much is going on at Wizards training camp and it’s just day one. And I’m stuck doing ‘regular’ work in DC. Thankfully, there are plenty of people in Richmond covering the events.
Antawn Jamison emerged from the first practice session of training camp on Tuesday looking like a walking billboard for the Flip Saunders regime. Around his neck, Jamison hung one of the iTouches that Saunders purchased for every member of the team. The devices have an application with videos and diagrams of Saunders’s playbook to ensure that every player fully understands where they need to be.
“No excuses,” Jamison said.
He also wore one the new shirts Saunders handed out on Monday night with the two-word theme for the Wizards’ season: “Our Time.”
Ads for Mac
Each player’s iTouch is coded for themselves, meaning they are the only ones who can sign in to access the plays. The team will upload diagrams and videos that the players are expected to watch. Some of the files are picture files diagramming the plays, while others are video files that actually show the plays in action. The players will be asked to have their ITouch on them at all times — Jamison was wearing his around his neck.
After getting Young to fall into a trance in about 20 seconds, Palmer convinced Young to gallop around the stage with a balloon, as if he was riding a horse. Young also did an impersonation of James Brown, of which he said afterward that he has no recollection. Mike James also forgot his last name and could be heard barking from time to time. Deshawn Stevenson said he had others moving their waists as if they were shaking a hoolahoop.
“That was funny. Wow,” said Butler, who added that JaVale McGee recorded everything on his camera phone (when is that video going up?). “The only thing that could top that was David Blaine or Criss Angel or something like that.”
“It’s not about winning 40 something games and making it to the playoffs. It’s about taking it to another level. We got a new captain of the ship and he believes in it, he’s been preaching it to us, and that’s the first thing that came out of his mouth in the meeting yesterday, that he believes we can win a championship. That’s something that’s never been discussed before, and it’s good to see everybody’s getting that same mindset of what we expect out of the team.”
Jamison went on: “Our Time. It’s not about talking about it. It’s about going out and getting the job done.”
On a side-note, Jamison did say that while he doesn’t mess with hypnotism, he DID wish he had been hypnotized last season.
Again any description of this year’s practice is not meant as a comparison to previous years, but just a window to what is happening now. Morning practices in a two-a-day set up are more for technique and shooting, tonight will be a more competitive environment.
- ‘Flip Saunders talks about his assistant coaches’ roles and how the Wizards chart plays’ [Bullets Forever]
- Hustle recap of P.M. practice [Mike Jones, Washington Times]
- Wizards radio play-by-play man Dave Johnson talks about the first morning [video via WashingtonWizards.com]
- @chaddukes: Gil just looked right at me. I think it moved.
- @mikejames7: Day one is over. My toenails is coming off. All that means is it’s training camp. Lol. Another day another dollar. Tomorrow do it again
- @MrMichaelLee: Nick Young looked good in evening scrimmage. Js and lays, no dribbles
- @sptswrtrjones: Sam Cassell shows Blatche post move. CB: “Hey Ernie! He still can play! 10 day!”
- @BulletsForever: Just got to Richmond, practice is still closed but I saw them practicing zone defense from the window.
Day 1 Video
- 3-on-3: Wall and Beal Cut from Team USA, Cassell’s Depature, and Continued #KSlife
- Drew Gooden for Team Finland at the FIBA World Cup? Plus Other Wizards and Ex-Wizards
- Sam Cassell Leaves Washington for LA Clippers, Will Be Missed by Wizards
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Lose to Kings in Semifinals, Leave Summer League 5-1
- Las Vegas Council: Rice & Porter Spur Wizards to Classic Summer League Victory in Triple-OT
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Escape Heat, Move to 3-0 in Summer League
- VIDEO: Cassell on Porter & Rice: ‘Their swagger, you can see it from miles away’
- Las Vegas Council: Rice Cooks Wolves for a Wizards Game 2 Win