JaVale McGee Putting In Work
Remember in Rocky IV when the main character, also named Rocky, was training for a big fight in Russia? He was outdoors, chopping wood, running in the snow, fighting wild Russian wolves with both hands tied behind his back, and fueled by a three-day vodka-only diet (I think all of this happened, my memory is fuzzy).
Meanwhile, Rocky’s counterpart, the evil Dolph Lundgren, was training in the lab with robots and steroids, and robots on steroids.
I’m not sure who eventually won the fight, I just remember the speech that Rocky made at the end being a life changing experience. Not so much because of his words, but more because of the kick ass song that followed, “Hearts on Fire” by John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band.
What does this have to do with JaVale McGee? Well, he’s been putting in au naturale work just like Rocky.
As far as McGee’s training antithesis, I’d like to say it’s Anderson Varejao, the Brazilian Spaz for the Cleveland Cavs. But the newly acquired flopping skills of Fabricio Oberto better matches up with the theatrics of Varejao.
Staying with the Wizards-Cavaliers rivalry theme, and since McGee, as a backup center, will likely be going against Zydrunas Ilgauskas, new to the backup role and the most fitting comparison to Ivan Drago, I’ll dub Big Z as the Yin to Epic Vale’s Yang.
Now to further intimidate Ilgauskas, I present:
(please ignore the part in the movie where Drago beat the mustache hairs off of Apollo Creed)
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Cavaliers, Game 9
- Pour Out a Little Liquor for All the Ex-Wizards, the 2013-14 NBA Season is Here
- Things About the 2013-14 Wizards Schedule That You Must Know Because It’s The Internet
- 2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side A: Photographic Evidence of Wizards
- This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is Upon Us: JaVale McGee Handed Keys to Denver Nuggets
- How to Alienate Players and Lose a Lot of Games: The Washington Wizards Way
- DC Council Game 53: Wizards 119 vs Nuggets 113: Flying Feet & Paint Toughness Run Denver Out of Town
- DC Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nuggets, Game 53