Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Arenas, Gilbert Calls The Media “Lazy”
There was a larger than usual media contingent at the Wizards’ practice this afternoon. I can’t really say this with conviction since it was only my second time attending a practice, but let’s just say there was a presence on a national level. And we’re talking about practice.
Waiting to be let into the gym, I surveyed the media scene. A bunch evil, lazy looking mofos … with daggers in their eyes and hate in their blood. Of course, I’m being extremely facetious here. But in the eyes of Gilbert Arenas, that’s what they are. Ok, again, I must confess, I’m putting words in Arenas’ mouth … but he did call the media “lazy.”
Arenas spoke in such a sullen and somber tone, he seemed like a kid who’d just lost his puppy. I halfway expected him to break out in a smile, but he didn’t. I know I broke out a couple uncontrollable smirks myself. When Arenas was done, he just quietly put his head down and walked to the locker room.
Here’s an excerpt of his presser …
I later spoke with Mike James about the differences between Agent Media and Agent Teammate:
“Gil is crazy and he’s going to continue to be crazy. That’s just who he is. He just wants to play basketball. He doesn’t want to think about all the other stuff. He doesn’t really care what the media says about him and how they express their feelings about him. He’s only talking to the media because he has to talk to the media.
Gil is Gil … cracking jokes all the time. He’s a fun guy to meet. I enjoy him. So now, he’d rather spend more time on the basketball court than in front of the cameras.”
So there it is. Arenas just wants to play basketball. And on the court with his teammates, he’s a totally different person … a regular Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Arenas.
Sorry media. It may be a tad immature, a wee-bit overboard … too bad.
Hopefully, what Arenas does on the basketball court will be entertainment enough.
Oh yea … speaking of “entertainment”, Arenas’ new website, GilbertArenas.com will debut on October 31st. [via Gilbertology]
Another oh yea … Arenas has a book coming out in February 2010. [also via Gilbertology]
Take that again media! Gilbert Arenas will be his OWN media!
Mike Jones of the Washington Times and Michael Lee of the Post have more on Arenas.
- Key Legislature: Wizards 98 vs Magic 93 — Bench Provides Tinder for Humphries’ Date Night Spark
- VIDEO: Sam Cassell, Otto Porter & Glen Rice Speak on Paul Pierce and Game 2 in Vegas
- This Gilbert Arenas Post Will Self-Destruct in Five Seconds
- Moving Pixels: A Peek Into Wizards Pre-NBA Draft Workouts 2014
- The Wizards Said WHAT? Ball Pressure, Pace, Wall’s Js, and Playing Desperate (VIDEO)
- Gilbert Arenas’ 2005 Shot Was Cool, But These Wizards Created Some New Highlights
- VIDEO: The Wizards Said WHAT? Nene Said Sorry to the Haters
- Playoff #WittmanFace: ‘If you’re not nervous before a game, there’s something wrong with you’