Captain Jamison Doesn’t Play That
The quote from an anonymous Wizard in a piece by Mike Wise and Michael Lee from last Friday’s Washington Post has clearly resonated negatively with me.
The players are expecting trades will be made between now and the Feb. 18 trade deadline. When asked how the team can focus on basketball moving forward, one player said, “It won’t matter. We all going to be out of here anyway.”
On one hand, you can’t look down upon said player with complete disdain. Part of human nature is having an emotional reaction when you feel that your efforts are fruitless. It happens to regular, non-millionaires in their jobs too. We are all capable of having such irrational and irresponsible thoughts enter our minds, if only briefly.
What acts as a separator is the difference between those who act on such thoughts and those who know better, those who let them escape from their minds because their character is higher than others. Guess which side the player who anonymously shares his apathy with a newspaper man is on.
I don’t want to be the guy who harps on a “these guys get paid millions” agenda. But professional athletes get paid so much because fans spend their hard-earned money to watch them play. The players are obligated to earn their salary by giving it their all in an attempt to display the best product possible.
The player who said the above quote clearly lacks the honor to fulfill his contractual commitment to the game of basketball.
After the Kings game, I asked Antawn Jamison about the quote and if it was a fair depiction of the Wizards locker room. The Captain sent a pretty strong message to that anonymous player.
- Drew Gooden Has a Spirit Animal and An Irreverent Role in Wizards Lore
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards at Clippers, Game 45
- Ernie Grunfeld: Offensive for Over a Decade, How’d He Get So Defensive? (Pt. 2)
- ShareBullets: Crittenton's Song, Bookie Ball, Jim McIlvaine's 40th & Gentleman Jamison the Jacker
- ShareBullets: Some Wizards Summer League Invitees and Free Agent Musings
- The Reaction: Harangody Double-Doubles as Cleveland Rocks, 98-89
- DC Council Game 36: Wizards 101 vs Cavs 98: Smoke ‘Em If You Got ‘Em, Dribbles McGee
- 3-on-3: Wizards vs Cavaliers: Antawn Jamison Returns To DC To Do Whatever It Is That He Does