The Dagger Report, Washington Wizards Podcast, Episode 6: It’s All About Gilbert Arenas
I don’t exactly want to say this podcast was “fun” to record, but it was therapeutic to talk about all aspects of this Gilbert Arenas situation with two well-thought and highly knowledgeable people, Mike Prada of Bullets Forever and Bethlehem Shoals of Free Darko and as of today, AOL’s NBA FanHouse.
Below is the run down of what we discussed, as ripped from what Mike wrote on Bullets Forever, and a link to play the podcast. Enjoy (I guess).
Prada: We spent an hour plus talking to one of the leading NBA bloggers of all time, Bethlehem Shoals from Free Darko and (formerly) Sporting News. Shoals is also an author of The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac: Styles, Stats and Stars In Today’s Game. The forward to that book was written by none other than Gilbert Arenas. Shoals has also written extensively about Arenas for Free Darko and The Baseline (you could say Arenas is the most “Free Darko” player in the NBA), so he feels the pain of this story as much, if not more, than us Wizards fans.
What did we end up talking about? It was a long discussion, but we hit at several of the key issues, namely:
- The media coverage and how Peter Vescey’s original New York Post article shaped perceptions of the story.
- How the local reporters (Mike Wise, Michael Lee, Mike Jones) were the guys who took a more measured approach and got the story right.
- How stories like these just spiral out of control as people write before knowing all the facts.
- “Finger guns” and all of that.
- David Stern’s ultimate decision to suspend Arenas indefinitely, and whether the a) timing and b) language of that suspension was appropriate.
- The reaction by the Wizards to basically tear down all remnants of Arenas in the Verizon Center. Is that appropriate?
- A discussion on why we hold athletes to such a high moral standard when politicians and musicians get in arguably more trouble.
Episode 6: The Dagger Report – Washington Wizards podcast
Previous Dagger Reports:
- Key Legislature: Wizards 98 vs Magic 93 — Bench Provides Tinder for Humphries’ Date Night Spark
- This Gilbert Arenas Post Will Self-Destruct in Five Seconds
- Gilbert Arenas’ 2005 Shot Was Cool, But These Wizards Created Some New Highlights
- Thanks For the Empty Pixels: Putting the 2004-10 Wizards in Your Rearview Mirror