Wizards Can’t Escape Wrath of Charles Barkley at NBA All-Star Weekend 2010
Believe it or not, in the clip you are about to see, Charles Barkley doesn’t even talk about the trade that Mark Cuban just fleeced the Wizards for. Although, he surely will trash the move at some point.
In going down their All-Decade NBA lists and highlights, the TNT crew of Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley couldn’t resist mentioning a specific sensitive moment in the Wizards’ failed history … The Michael Ruffin Ball Toss.
Ruffin’s infamous gaffe, the one where he tossed the ball in the air with around three-seconds left only to see Mo Peterson of the Toronto Raptors catch, shoot, and make a crazy buzzer beater to tie the game (the Wizards would go on to lose in overtime), wasn’t officially apart of any All-Decade list, but the guys could help but mention it.
“The second dumbest basketball play I’ve ever seen,” said Kenny Smith.
“Would we respect anything less out of the Wizards?,” said Charles Barkley, a perpetual hater of the franchise. Why does he seem to hate the Wizards much more than any other team in the history? I’m not sure, but I’d sure like to ask the Chuck Wagon some day. And yes, in the clip Barkley says “respect,” not “expect.” Classic Round Mound of Rebound.
“They were ahead of their time with that,” retorted Ernie Johnson in closing.
I guess so. The Michael Ruffin play happened on March 30, 2007. Five days and three games later, Gilbert Arenas suffered his initial knee injury against the Charlotte Bobcats.
So, either Ruffin’s toss indicated that the Wizards were ahead of their time or it perhaps marked the beginning of the end of an era. Wizards fans, this is your franchise.
Let’s just watch.
At least Johnson gives hometown announcer Steve Buckhantz some credit. Buck’s voice is not featured in the clip above, but Johnson wishes it was. But, if for some reason you want to torture yourself and hear Buckhantz scream to the heavens, “NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT POSSIBLE!!!,” then check out the clip below.
- The Emotion is More or Less Palpable — A Story About the Wizards in Philadelphia
- NOBODY ASKED ME (but Wizards) — Media Partners, Beal’s Disrespect & Preseason Basketball
- Ranking Ernie Grunfeld’s Free Agent Signings in Washington
- Key Legislature: Wizards 101 at Lakers 88 — Wall Shows Shades of Showtime
- The Sky Done Crashed Down — Wizards at Nuggets, DC Council 65
- Key Legislature: Wizards 94 at Heat 114 — Washington Rows Against the Tide in South Florida
- Key Legislature: Wizards 92 at Bucks 99 — Misconception and Miscommunication in Milwaukee
- Where Patience is Not a Virtue — Wizards at Hornets, DC Council 49