Reflection and pictures from inside NBA Draft night 2010
NBA draft night 2010 was a whirlwind … and any other similar word you can find in a thesaurus to describe a confusing commotion of excitement.
I got there not knowing what to expect. And because of that, it was hard to really take in the whole scene. Minutes and picks flew by. What was I there to do? Capture the experience? Go on a sprint for blog-worthy moments with the goal of being first to publish? Catch interesting angles aside from ‘here’s my grade for a draft that really can’t be graded because all of these prospects have yet to play’? Grading the draft is a silly, fruitless effort, by the way.
I guess I tried to do all of it. And now that the dust has settled, I still don’t know what happened. From running through the pathways of Madison Square Garden to tall millionaires to-be in suits to power agents and media members to anxious prospect family members to drunk New York fans chanting ‘Jeff – Van – Gun – Dy!!’ … all of it added up on John Wall’s special night. A night that was all about the ceremony, and pomp and circumstance of matriculation to the National Basketball Association.
The night doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things, aside from the fact that every draftee has hope … for the time being.
Below is the draft night I saw in pictures, accompanied by the preceding track from the latest Roots album:
The post-stage first interview.
Stage right control balcony.
Draft night coverage.
The Green Room that wasn’t really a room, more like an area, with red carpet.
The all-important product placement.
Wesley Johnson everyone … more Thuston Howell III or more Fonzworth Bentley?
Gordon and Cole share a secret … perhaps with the ESPN guy too.
The Green Room populates.
An ‘OMG’ moment.
Looking up to the heavens.
Scratch, scratch, cough.
“Line ‘em up wedding style,” said the photography coordinator.
Time to smile?
No, not time to smile.
Andy Katz checks the latest.
The big picture.
The anticipatory Green Room.
The David Falk-Evan Turner table.
Coach Cal checks in.
The awaiting stage.
The awaiting interview.
The awaiting press conference.
When the pick is made …
No longer a non-Wizard.
DC, WaPost heads represent.
Wall and Turner congrats.
The Wall sheet.
Time to smile, finally.
Big Tigger swoons too.
A starry-eyed French kid.
A soon-to-be-forgotten Bulls hat.
Great Wall walking.
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- D.C. Council Game 60: Wizards 104 vs Grizzlies 110: Memphis Advances to Victory via Points Statistics
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Grizzlies vs Wizards, Game 60
- D.C. Council Game 59: Wizards 122 at 76ers 103: Bubba Chuck’s Night Stolen by Hookah Arms Ariza
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards at 76ers, Game 59
- D.C. Council: Wizards 134 at Raptors 129: Wiz Kids (and #WizVets) Dig Triple-OT Deep, Score Dino-Sized Bones
- Portraits, Vignettes & Instagrams from 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans