Wizards Pre-Draft Workouts: Bullets on Dexter Pittman, Texas-sized Post Player
Dexter Pittman is a big body with soft hands. The Wizards could certainly use a post man who can take up space and Pittman, along with Derrick Caracter, might be options … perhaps not necessarily at 30 or 35, but a possibility should the Wizards acquire a late second round pick. Pittman worked out for the Wizards last Thursday, June 17th. Here’s a bullet point run-down on Dexter along with his post-workout media interview video:
- Pittman says he left high school for Texas weighing 388, dropped that to 366 before enrolling in June 2006, and got his weight down to a listed 290 by his senior year.
- Below I’ve embedded a video of a good ESPN feature that chronicles the transformation Pittman went through at UT, a school with a renowned strength and conditioning program.
- Pittman weighed in at 303 in Chicago, said he was “probably around 300” on his day working out with the Wizards, and that his ideal playing weight is around 270-280.
- He had the highest percentage of body fat, 20.8%, of those measured in Chicago. DeMarcus Cousins was second at 16.4%.
- The website of Pittman’s foundation, DexterPittman.org, says that he once weight 402 pounds.
- His foundation sponsors the ‘Get Fit With Big Pitt Challenge‘ to help fight youth obesity.
- He had to unfortunately leave the Chicago pre-draft combine early because his younger brother was murdered.
- NBADraft.net compares him to Stanley Roberts.
- Pittman measures 6’9.5″ without shoes with a 7’6″ wingspan, almost six inches longer than Caracter’s wingspan.
- Pittman also had the biggest hands of the Chicago measurements with a length of 10.5 inches. Sure, these are just measurements, but I’m loving the new hand measurement stat. Some of the greatest players, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Rajon Rondo, and many that I’m surely missing, have had some of the biggest, strongest hands. Kwame Brown was said to have small hands. Enough said.
- Pittman made Academic All-Big 12 his sophomore and junior years.
- In an interview, he said one of his nicknames is “Sexy Dexy,” given to him by the Texas women’s basketball team his freshman year.
- He also said that he “loves phones like women love shoes” and that he’s a big fan of Wal-mart.
- His Twitter account is @Big_Pitt.
- Charles Barkley has noticed Pittman’s work ethic.
- He had an impressive workout with the Timberwolves, where he compared himself to DeJuan Blair and Big Baby Davis, but with 3 or 4 more inches in height, says T-Wolves GM David Khan.
- In the scouting report video embedded below, I was impressed by Pittman’s footwork/agility when guarding the pick-and-roll on the perimeter.
- Says he would’ve been disappointed if Texas went to the Pac-10 because the Big 12 stands for being “big and physical” while the Pac-10 is known for “premature point guards” who don’t want to get hit in the paint.
Post Wizards Workout Interview:
#36 to the Detroit Pistons – Ball In Europe
#49 to the San Antonio Spurs – Ridiculous Upside
#58 to the L.A. Lakers – Draft Express
#59 to the Orlando Magic – NBADraft.net
ESPN feature on Pittman
- Key Legislature: Wizards 113 vs Nuggets 117 — Last One In, Please Close the Door
- Barkley Hates the Wizards’ Name. Do You? Our Take and Your Votes. [Poll]
- Moving Pixels: Wizards Pre-Draft Workouts with Wally Judge, Andre Dawkins & James Michael McAdoo
- Moving Pixels: Wizards Pre-Draft Workouts with Sim Bhullar, Ian Chiles, Philip Neuman, Etc.
- Moving Pixels: A Peek Into Wizards Pre-NBA Draft Workouts 2014
- Wittman Wants to Halt Pre-NBA Draft Workouts; Here are the 53 Guys the Wizards Worked-Out
- The Wizards Are Working Out WHO? June 6 Pre-NBA Draft Workout Capsules (& June 5 Video)
- The Wizards Are Working Out WHO? June 5 Pre-NBA Draft Workout Capsules