[Andray Blatche had "Lapdance Tuesdays"... Well, we at TAI have "Poll Dance...
Wizards Pre-Draft Workouts: The Canadian Plea of Andy Rautins
On Thursday, June 17, Andy Rautins (G, Syracuse, 6’4, 195 lbs.) worked out for the Washington Wizards along with Chas McFarland (C, Wake Forest, 7’0, 245 lbs.), Kevin Palmer (G/F, Texas A&M-CC, 6’6, 205 lbs.), Dexter Pittman (C, Texas, 6’10, 290 lbs.), Terrico White (G, Mississippi, 6’5, 213 lbs.) and Darington Hobson (G/F, New Mexico, 6’7, 205 lbs.) (Note: Hobson actually did not work out for the Wizards because he tweaked his ankle). Get the run-down on Rautins and check his post-workout interview video below…
Another guy who also worked out on June 17th that I didn’t mention above is John Wall. But he was all by his lonesome for an 11 am session, Rautins started with the rest of those guys around noon.
By the time I arrived at the Verizon Center just after 11 to catch a glimpse of the end of Wall’s workout, Rautin’s name had already become a punchline several times over.
“You here to see Andy Rautins?,” came from several mouths in the press lounge packed with excited media members anxiously waiting to see Wall. A light chuckle with a side of ‘yucks’ usually followed.
Somebody asked me and I just shrugged my shoulders. I honestly didn’t know who the hell Andy Rautins was … just figured he was some white dude who could shoot the rock. I guess I was right.
The Run-Down on Andy Rautins:
- 6’5″ three point bomber, not much else.
- Low athleticism, high IQ.
- Senior year stats: 12.1 points, 40.7 3P%, 2.8 3PM, 6.9 3PA, 60% eFG
- Not a terrible passer though: 4.9 AST, 2.8 TOV
- Trying to prove he can play point and that he’s “more than just a shooter”; says he’s played a lot of one guard in his NBA workouts.
- Says his game is “a little bit between Dan Majerle and Steve Nash.”
- Compared to Matt Carroll by NBADraft.net.
- ESPN’s Chad Ford ranks Rautins 56th overall (mocks him to the Magic at pick 59).
- His father is Leo Rautins, coach of the Canadian national men’s basketball team who also served a very brief in the NBA. Leo also played at Syracuse and was the first Canadian ever to be taken in the first round of the NBA draft.
- Andy was born in Jamesville, NY and attended high school in the U.S. but has suited up for the Canadian national team since 2005.
- Will play for Canada in the FIBA World Championships in Turkey this summer.
- In his interview, Rautins tells Matt Bonner to get his papers right so he can play for Canada too.
- Rautins also pleads his case to Steve Nash. He says: “Steve, if you’re out there, we’d obviously love to have you.”
- Rautins also talks about teammate Wesley Johnson in his interview, praising his humility.
- There’s a Twitter account called: @andyrautinshair.
Post Wizards Workout Interview:
Andy Rautins Highlights:
- Possibly Random Facts (And Funny Pics of our EIC) that Will Keep You Occupied Prior to Draftageddon 2013
- NBA DRAFT: The Mystery of the Bullets (and other NBA teams) Passing on Karl Malone
- Wittman Wants to Halt Pre-NBA Draft Workouts; Here are the 53 Guys the Wizards Worked-Out
- Little Big NBA Draft Boards: Who Should the Wizards Like in 2013?