Ernie Grunfeld On Wants, Seraphin’s Knee and The Growth of McGee
[Below are some quick notes from Ernie Grunfeld’s Q&A with the media on the first night of Wizards mini-camp. Video of the session is at the bottom of this post.]
Bullets on Kevin Seraphin
- Grunfeld gave a scouting report on Seraphin, crediting him for having good hands and for being light on his feet.
- He springboards that into talking about the transition the team is going through. “We’ve been a predominantly perimeter oriented team and a finesse team and I just felt like we needed some more physicality,” said Grunfeld.
- It’s been known that Seraphin will miss the Vegas Summer League because of a left knee ligament tear he experienced in the French League playoffs. Grunfeld said he expects him to be back on the court running full contact drills in August.
Ernie wants a small forward and a big man
“If we can pick up a small forward along the way, that’s a position we’d probably look at.”
“I think we also need another big man to back up.”
To back up whom? I’m not sure. When healthy, you can pencil in Andray Blatche at the four. Does that mean JaVale McGee is pegged for the starting center spot? A 3/4/5 combo of Al Thornton, Blatche and McGee would get eaten alive on defense against most of the league, as would one of Thornton, Yi Jianlian and Blatche. The Wizards need a veteran defensive anchor if you ask me. It’s okay if he’s old, just as long as he can teach. Are Kurt Thomas, Theo Ratliff, Tony Battie or Joe Smith still alive? Actually, I bet Grunfeld gets one of the Collins Twins, probably Jarron.
The Growth of JaVale McGee
Once upon a time (December 2008 to be exact), JaVale McGee’s mom, Pamela, said her boy was still growing. “He’s in a growth spurt right now, we just measured him and he’s 7’1″ with no shoes on.”
Here’s where we’ll get into measurement discrepancy. In Chicago, summer 2008, McGee was measured to be 6’11” without shoes and 7’0″ with. On Thursday night, Ernie Grunfeld said, “He’s grown a little bit. He’s over 7-feet tall without shoes on, he’s almost 7’1.5″ with shoes. ”
Point is, Wookie is tall. He’s a Flintstone kid … 10 million strong, and growing.
Times of note in the below video of Ernie Grunfeld’s Q&A with the media:
- 0:45 – Kirk Hinrich is called gritty.
- 1:34 – Says “We’ll pick our spots” — perhaps an ode to Mike Miller.
- 1:52 – Hinrich is cited for his grittiness.