JaVale McGee: “I felt like the rim was at my waist.”
[The yell after the dunk.]
I’m pretty sure you’ve seen it by now, JaVale McGee’s monster dunk over New Orleans’ Kyle Hines in the fourth quarter of Friday’s game. It was pretty damn insane … and definitely would have been nice to see. I was right there, mere feet away taking pictures from the baseline. And right there in my way was the referee. Thankfully in this day and age there is a YouTube, so let’s take another watch.
After the game McGee spoke about his dunk, saying, “I surprised myself to tell you the truth. I thought I was going to dunk it, but I ain’t think … I felt like the rim was at my waist.”
In the video below, McGee also credits the Hornets’ Sean Sonderlieter, depicted as “that white guy with the hair down to here,” as being the spark that ignited the Wizards’ third quarter where they outscored New Orleans 30-16. Evidently Sonderlieter said something to John Wall after he expressed his excitement over a Trevor Booker blocked shot. “Everybody just jumped on that guy’s back. We just all came as one and everybody just started going crazy. We all just started feeding off each other,” said McGee.
And this was after Washington headed into the locker room (or rather, the make-shift locker room sectioned off by a curtain on the side of the stands at the Cox Pavilion) down 49-36 at the half, having been out-scored 26-7 by the Hornets in the second quarter.
Oh yea, the Wizards won 90-89 thanks to a buzzer-beater by Lester Hudson that answered a Craig Brackins three with 2.2 second left. Might as well watch that too.
- Pour Out a Little Liquor for All the Ex-Wizards, the 2013-14 NBA Season is Here
- 2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side B: Reporting from the Ground in Vegas
- Things About the 2013-14 Wizards Schedule That You Must Know Because It’s The Internet
- This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is Upon Us: JaVale McGee Handed Keys to Denver Nuggets
- How to Alienate Players and Lose a Lot of Games: The Washington Wizards Way
- DC Council Game 53: Wizards 119 vs Nuggets 113: Flying Feet & Paint Toughness Run Denver Out of Town
- DC Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nuggets, Game 53
- DC Council Game 37: Wizards 112 at Nuggets 108: Wall's Mile-High Free Throw Redemption