John Wall After Game Two: An Encounter With Clipper Darrell
You know Clipper Darrell, right? He’s the famed fan of the Los Angeles Clippers who, according to his website, has attended 385 straight Clipper home games. He was even once recruited by Mark Cuban to come to Dallas and become Maverick Darrell. Unfortunately for Cuban, Clipper Darrell is faithful to his team, which means, of course, he and his multi-colored suit made the short trek to Las Vegas to support the Clip Show in the 2010 NBA Summer League.
On Monday night, Clipper Darrell’s team faced John Wall and the Washington Wizards. The number one Clippers fan was sure to alert the number one draft pick of his presence.
Wall took a hard tumble on a drive to the basket with less than a minute left in the first quarter. As he stepped to the line, the gym got quiet. “John Wall, welcome to the NBA!,” said Clipper Darrell, alerting Wall on his initiation to a more physical level of basketball. “U-G-L-Y, you ain’t got no alibi!!!,” he followed. The arena erupted with laughter, including from Wall and teammate Nick Young.
Of course, after casually making his first free-throw, Wall looked back in Clipper Darrell’s direction to let him know that no heckling could phase him. “I just take it and laugh and keep playing,” Wall said after the game, explaining how he’s one to enjoy the moment, but not one to lose focus.
Clipper Darrell continued to rain down upon Wall with no mercy over the course of the game, calling him overrated, amongst other heckling. But it was all in good fun. A handful of the Wizards coaching and front office staff, including Flip Saunders, Tommy Sheppard and Milt Newton, were mere seats away from Clipper Darrell (it didn’t matter, his voice boomed anyway), and all got a good laugh from his antics, as they fell victim too.
In the end, Clipper Darrell made nice. With the game in hand and Wall on the bench, the Wizards ultimately prevailed 89-64, a moment of silence came, “John Wall, excuse me … I love yoooooou!!”
When asked about it, Wall said, “That’s cool I love him too.”
- The Superofficial TAI Staff Wizards Playoff Forecast (and Season Look-Back)
- D.C. Council 82: Wizards 118 at Celtics 102: What Securing Seed 5 in Game 82 Looks Like
- Wizards Take 5-Seed in East, Sam Cassell on Wall and Beal: ‘These My Guards’
- D.C. Council 81: Wizards 114 vs Heat 93: Wiz Toss Miami Laundry Into Cold Wash
- D.C. Council Game 80: Wizards 104 vs. Bucks 91: Wiz Go Big Buck Hunting in Second Half
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Bucks, Game 79
- D.C. Council 79: Wizards 96 at Magic 86: Wiz Find Enough Elixir to End Sluggish Spell
- VIDEO: The Wizards Said WHAT? ‘We ain’t going to beat anybody, including Milwaukee’