ShareBullets: Chasing Summer Basketball and The Definition of ‘Josh Howard Hood’
Links and a picture (or two) …
[The reluctant dad, preparing to chase - Logan Circle, Washington, D.C. - K. Weidie]
It’s about roles, not positions.
John Shuhmann writes about JaVale McGee’s chances with Team USA:
McGee’s skill set is actually a better fit for what Krzyzewski wants from his centers than Lopez’s are. McGee is a 7-foot beanpole who can jump out of the gym, the kind of guy who can effortlessly recreate Michael Jordan’s cuff dunk in a Summer League game. With his athleticism and speed, he can patrol the paint and run the floor for a team that wants to win with aggressive defense and transition offense.
Intangibles come into play and for a player to fully earn his coach’s trust, he must be experienced, consistent and reliable. At this point in career, McGee is none of those.
Yi Jianlian and the Chinese team are in Vancouver for an exhibition versus the Canadian national team tonight. China will also play games in New York and Serbia before the FIBA Worlds in Turkey. Click the article below for a quick profile on the team.
[Xinhua News Agency via istockanalyst.com]
JaVale McGee and the anti-shoutout.
Andray Blatche thinks the Wizards can “shock” people … now we just need to determine the definition of “shocked.”
Guess which Wizard made the “Top 5 NBA Video Game Superstars Who Don’t Translate to Reality” … his name rhymes with “Sick Lung.”
A quick run-down on the foreign big men McGee could possibly face if he makes the final Team USA roster for the 2010 FIBA Worlds.
[Wiz of Awes]
TBD.com is off and running [Disclosure: Truth About It.net will be taking part in TBD's community of D.C. blogs], and the first column by David Aldridge is up … it’s a pretty good one on the battle between Albert Haynesworth and Mike Shanahan.
LeBron’s Akron bike-a-thon was going so smoothly, until …
[The Basketball Jones]
Brendan Haywood, via a friend who is a singer/song writer, wonders whether a club is “a little hood or is it Josh Howard hood.” (Supposedly.) Lola Natisa writes on her blog:
Brendan Haywood is an uncomfortably tall basket ball player who has recently signed with the Dallas Mavericks. When he was traded from the Washington Wizards to the Dallas Mavericks earlier this year, my friend Daylon (who knew Brendan from Charlotte) thought it would be cool to show him what Dallas had to offer. It was a Sunday night right after my gig at the House of Blues and the only place that was really jumping in Dallas was a night club called Wish. Brendan is a guy who enjoys muliti-cultural environments because they tend to be much safer, and the women seem to be much much nicer. After going out with him a few times, I can’t disagree with his preference. I’m not sure why…… but black women plus a night club, can add up to rude/bitter/unattractive results at times (lol) FYI: the black woman reading this and is offended, is the black woman that produces these unattractive results. Anyway, we warned him that this night for this club sometimes can become a little hood. Brendan listened to what we had to say and he asked, “Now, is this club just a little hood or is it Josh Howard hood”? I had never been to a Josh Howard party nor had I met him personally, so I wasn’t sure exactly what he meant. That was until I recently sang the National Anthem at Josh Howard’s Celebrity Softball Charity Game. All I can say is Josh Howard is sooo much more hood then just hood. His staff of hometown homeboys who sometimes need to “smoke one” when under pressure were an interesting trio. The after party at the House of Blues looked like a Big T’s Bazaar fashion show. There were over sized gold chains, discount baby phat outfits and ass…just a whole lot of ass (tragic just tragic). Needless to say the night at Wish with Brendon and Daylon wasn’t Josh Howard hood. Hood is just that hood…Josh Howard Hood is hood on steroids, everything hood times ten.
1) JaVale McGee … Jmac … @bigdaddywookie … is still at the production game, this time laying down behind the vocals of Fresh Heir (@1FreshHeir). Head to Reverb Nation to check out two tracks, ‘We On’ and ‘Nympho’ … not bad. (Parental guidance yourself on the lyrics.)
2) Another shout out goes to Sean Born (@BackRoadBorn), who drops Russ Grimm’s name in his song Byrdland (around the 0:55 second mark) — H/T to @SaleemTheDream for reminding me about this song. And once again, I must warn those with sensitive ears for language. More from Sean Born can be found on his MySpace page.
3) Oh, and JaVale McGee has an observation. Via @bigdaddywookie:
i kno im late on @wale new mixtape but y does every track start wit the… just an observation
4) And might as well give Lola Natisa (@LolaNatisa) a shout out (even though she’s not D.C.-local):
[All done ... old tymers at Eastern Market, Washington, D.C. - K. Weidie]
- DC Council Preseason Game 1: Wizards 106 vs Nets 111: Boo Birds for Blatche & Preseason OT
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nets, Preseason Game 1
- Things About the 2013-14 Wizards Schedule That You Must Know Because It’s The Internet
- This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is Upon Us: JaVale McGee Handed Keys to Denver Nuggets
Recent TAI Posts
- The Week in Wizards, the basketball ones — Dec. 2 to 8 (Debuts, Injuries & Pink Elephants) December 9, 2013
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nuggets, Game 20 December 9, 2013
- D.C. Council Game 19: Wizards 105 vs Bucks 109: The #SoWizards Way to Lose .500 December 8, 2013
- Wizards vs Bucks: the Game 19 Story via Twitter December 6, 2013
- John Wall’s Crossover 360 Scoop Shot Charge (Plus Nate Wolters Crossover Fist Pump!) December 6, 2013
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Bucks, Game 19 December 6, 2013
- John Wall on the Eastern Conference and Why He’s Finishing Better At the Rim December 6, 2013
- Another Day, Another Martell Webster Pixelbomb (featuring John Wall) December 5, 2013
- Randy Wittman on ‘Analytical B.S.’ December 5, 2013
- Top 5 Things Wizards Are Good at Doing December 5, 2013
- 50-Win Dreams and 5-Year Terms: One-Fifth of a Season with Marcin Gortat December 4, 2013
- Poll Dance Tuesday: Long Live #WittmanFace? December 3, 2013
- D.C. Council Game 18: Wizards 98 vs Magic 80: Where There’s Hookah Smoke, There’s Fire December 3, 2013