ShareBullets: Chasing Summer Basketball and The Definition of ‘Josh Howard Hood’
Links and a picture (or two) …
[The reluctant dad, preparing to chase - Logan Circle, Washington, D.C. - K. Weidie]
It’s about roles, not positions.
John Shuhmann writes about JaVale McGee’s chances with Team USA:
McGee’s skill set is actually a better fit for what Krzyzewski wants from his centers than Lopez’s are. McGee is a 7-foot beanpole who can jump out of the gym, the kind of guy who can effortlessly recreate Michael Jordan’s cuff dunk in a Summer League game. With his athleticism and speed, he can patrol the paint and run the floor for a team that wants to win with aggressive defense and transition offense.
Intangibles come into play and for a player to fully earn his coach’s trust, he must be experienced, consistent and reliable. At this point in career, McGee is none of those.
Yi Jianlian and the Chinese team are in Vancouver for an exhibition versus the Canadian national team tonight. China will also play games in New York and Serbia before the FIBA Worlds in Turkey. Click the article below for a quick profile on the team.
[Xinhua News Agency via istockanalyst.com]
JaVale McGee and the anti-shoutout.
Andray Blatche thinks the Wizards can “shock” people … now we just need to determine the definition of “shocked.”
Guess which Wizard made the “Top 5 NBA Video Game Superstars Who Don’t Translate to Reality” … his name rhymes with “Sick Lung.”
A quick run-down on the foreign big men McGee could possibly face if he makes the final Team USA roster for the 2010 FIBA Worlds.
[Wiz of Awes]
TBD.com is off and running [Disclosure: Truth About It.net will be taking part in TBD's community of D.C. blogs], and the first column by David Aldridge is up … it’s a pretty good one on the battle between Albert Haynesworth and Mike Shanahan.
LeBron’s Akron bike-a-thon was going so smoothly, until …
[The Basketball Jones]
Brendan Haywood, via a friend who is a singer/song writer, wonders whether a club is “a little hood or is it Josh Howard hood.” (Supposedly.) Lola Natisa writes on her blog:
Brendan Haywood is an uncomfortably tall basket ball player who has recently signed with the Dallas Mavericks. When he was traded from the Washington Wizards to the Dallas Mavericks earlier this year, my friend Daylon (who knew Brendan from Charlotte) thought it would be cool to show him what Dallas had to offer. It was a Sunday night right after my gig at the House of Blues and the only place that was really jumping in Dallas was a night club called Wish. Brendan is a guy who enjoys muliti-cultural environments because they tend to be much safer, and the women seem to be much much nicer. After going out with him a few times, I can’t disagree with his preference. I’m not sure why…… but black women plus a night club, can add up to rude/bitter/unattractive results at times (lol) FYI: the black woman reading this and is offended, is the black woman that produces these unattractive results. Anyway, we warned him that this night for this club sometimes can become a little hood. Brendan listened to what we had to say and he asked, “Now, is this club just a little hood or is it Josh Howard hood”? I had never been to a Josh Howard party nor had I met him personally, so I wasn’t sure exactly what he meant. That was until I recently sang the National Anthem at Josh Howard’s Celebrity Softball Charity Game. All I can say is Josh Howard is sooo much more hood then just hood. His staff of hometown homeboys who sometimes need to “smoke one” when under pressure were an interesting trio. The after party at the House of Blues looked like a Big T’s Bazaar fashion show. There were over sized gold chains, discount baby phat outfits and ass…just a whole lot of ass (tragic just tragic). Needless to say the night at Wish with Brendon and Daylon wasn’t Josh Howard hood. Hood is just that hood…Josh Howard Hood is hood on steroids, everything hood times ten.
1) JaVale McGee … Jmac … @bigdaddywookie … is still at the production game, this time laying down behind the vocals of Fresh Heir (@1FreshHeir). Head to Reverb Nation to check out two tracks, ‘We On’ and ‘Nympho’ … not bad. (Parental guidance yourself on the lyrics.)
2) Another shout out goes to Sean Born (@BackRoadBorn), who drops Russ Grimm’s name in his song Byrdland (around the 0:55 second mark) — H/T to @SaleemTheDream for reminding me about this song. And once again, I must warn those with sensitive ears for language. More from Sean Born can be found on his MySpace page.
3) Oh, and JaVale McGee has an observation. Via @bigdaddywookie:
i kno im late on @wale new mixtape but y does every track start wit the… just an observation
4) And might as well give Lola Natisa (@LolaNatisa) a shout out (even though she’s not D.C.-local):
[All done ... old tymers at Eastern Market, Washington, D.C. - K. Weidie]
- Vines From China: Blatche and Crawford Defeat a Panda’s Friend
- Glen Rice and Otto Porter Become Bane and a Ninja Turtle for Halloween
- Drew Gooden for Team Finland at the FIBA World Cup? Plus Other Wizards and Ex-Wizards
- Thanks For the Empty Pixels: Putting the 2004-10 Wizards in Your Rearview Mirror
Recent TAI Posts
- D.C. Council 12: Wizards at Bucks — Ship Steadied, Comeback Sealed November 23, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 111 at Bucks 100 — Pierce and His Wolfpack Shake Off Cleveland Hangover November 23, 2014
- Wizards at Bucks, Game 12 Twitter Storify: Every Penny Pierce Bucks Back November 23, 2014
- Opening Statements: Wizards at Bucks, Game 12 November 22, 2014
- D.C. Council 11: Wizards vs Cavs — Lights-Out Wall Leaves Cleveland ‘in the Dark’ November 22, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 91 vs Cavs 78 — Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall November 22, 2014
- Wizards vs Cavaliers, Game 11 Twitter Storify: Don’t Cry for LeBron November 22, 2014
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Cavaliers, Game 11 November 21, 2014
- D.C. Council 10: Wizards vs Mavericks — Dallas Ponies Up, Washington Stuck at the Gate November 20, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 102 vs Mavericks 105: Information Overload Bluescreens Washington Defense November 20, 2014
- Wizards vs Mavericks, Game 10 Twitter Storify: Monta, Dirk & Jose Lead the Way November 20, 2014
- Lining Up the Wizards (So Far); Pre-Game Quotes from Randy, Rick & Richard November 19, 2014