ShareBullets: Intersecting Paths – Mike James, The WizzNutzz & Benga
[Intersecting paths, Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C. – taken by Kyle Weidie]
I recently wrote a piece for SB Nation DC about a Twitter interaction — a musical enlightenment — between the WizzNutzz and Mike James, while the former was in glorious Wheaton, Maryland and the latter was in Kenya, Africa. So go read that now … but there’s also more to the story (after you read) …
Alex Minoff is local to the D.C. area, is most certainly a huge Wizards fan (actually, “rabid,” he tells me), and a member of the music group Extra Golden. You can learn more about Extra Golden in various locales on the web, such as their website or Wikipedia, but basically it’s a band formed by two Kenyans and two Americans — a hybrid of benga and rock.
On a related side note, last weekend I dragged the GF with me to Bedrock Billiards in Adam’s Morgan to shoot some pool … ran into a dude with a ‘Free Gilbert’ olde-style Bullets shirt, took a picture of the shirt with my phone, Tweeted it … and later on Alex (@AlexMinoff) Tweeted me and said he met the guy in the Gilbert shirt about an hour after I posted the photo.
And that’s my story … now let’s check out an Extra Golden promo video followed by some links … and you’ll want to stick around until the end of this post, local retro video at the bottom.
Peter John Ramos and Fabricio Oberto catch a flight together and point in the general direction of each other while posing for a picture.
[Ball Don’t Lie]
An report indicates that an Italian team, Cimberio Varese, might be targeting Wizards second round draft pick Hamady N’diaye, who remains unsigned by the Wiz.
On Saturday, Trevor Booker will earn his undergraduate degree in parks, recreation and tourism management from Clemson University.
JaVale McGee is one of five young NBA big men poised for a breakout this season.
First, Mike Jones, former Wizards beat reporter for the Washington Times, joined TBD.com. Now, it seems like David Aldridge is joining the team too. He will be writing a column and hosting a television show.
For more about TBD.com, Aaron Morrissey has a good review.
A Maryland lawmaker has been falsely claiming that he played for the Dallas Cowboys. Sounds classy.
[Washington City Paper]
Ricky Rubio highlights in a Spanish exhibition match against Canada on August 1st. And yes, he’s still not a Wizard. Oh well.
How NBA owners might get away with spending ridiculous amounts of money on questionable players this summer.
[NBA Facts & Rumors]
Ted Leonsis doesn’t think highly of The Real Housewives of DC, or much of reality TV as a whole. I’d have to agree … but there are also different types of reality TV. I’d deem Whale Wars, Survivor Man, Top Chef, Man vs. Wild, Deadliest Catch, Intervention, among others, along the lines of acceptable reality TV.
How Danny Ainge lured Shaq to Boston.
[Brain On Funk]
Shaq wants to fight Jim Rome. Trey Kerby writes:
“Sounds like an hour-long special to me. Set it up, because I’m sure this is what Celtics fans were hoping for when Danny Ainge pulled the trigger on picking up Shaq — total and complete dedication to winning another championship, except for not really and on TV.”
When soon-to-be Hall of Fame inductees, Karl Malone and John Stockton, cleaned out their Utah Jazz lockers on the day Stockton retired.
[Living and Dying by the Jazz]
“Gary” is ready to get down to business.
Finally, a D.C.-area 1980s commercial for Cavalier men’s shop … H/T to TAI’s Adam McGinnis.
Ranking the 2016-17 Wizards
All Recent Posts
- Extinct in Crunch Time Again — Wizards Dropped by Raptors, 113-103 November 3, 2016
- Opening Statements 03: Wizards vs. Raptors — Two Teams Passing in the Night November 2, 2016
- John Wall, Stakes Are High — 2016-17 Wizards Player Previews November 2, 2016
- Markieff Morris, New Leaf for Keef — 2016-17 Wizards Player Previews November 1, 2016
- Letters About Wizards Playing the Blues in Memphis, Tennessee October 31, 2016
- Opening Statements 02: Wizards at Grizzlies — New Grind House October 30, 2016
- Game 1, Wizards at Hawks — Washington Waves White Flag in Atlanta October 28, 2016
- 4 Themes from a Problematic Wizards Opening Night October 28, 2016
- #FreeSato — The Birth of a Movement October 28, 2016
- TAI’s 2016-17 Washington Wizards and NBA Playoffs Predictions October 27, 2016
- Opening Statements 01: Wizards at Hawks — Hope Before Dawn October 27, 2016
- Capital Offense: Nobody Is Talking About The Wizards October 26, 2016
- Trey Burke, Next Up to Backup — 2016-17 Wizards Player Previews October 26, 2016