ShareBullets: Intersecting Paths – Mike James, The WizzNutzz & Benga
[Intersecting paths, Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C. - taken by Kyle Weidie]
I recently wrote a piece for SB Nation DC about a Twitter interaction — a musical enlightenment — between the WizzNutzz and Mike James, while the former was in glorious Wheaton, Maryland and the latter was in Kenya, Africa. So go read that now … but there’s also more to the story (after you read) …
Alex Minoff is local to the D.C. area, is most certainly a huge Wizards fan (actually, “rabid,” he tells me), and a member of the music group Extra Golden. You can learn more about Extra Golden in various locales on the web, such as their website or Wikipedia, but basically it’s a band formed by two Kenyans and two Americans — a hybrid of benga and rock.
On a related side note, last weekend I dragged the GF with me to Bedrock Billiards in Adam’s Morgan to shoot some pool … ran into a dude with a ‘Free Gilbert’ olde-style Bullets shirt, took a picture of the shirt with my phone, Tweeted it … and later on Alex (@AlexMinoff) Tweeted me and said he met the guy in the Gilbert shirt about an hour after I posted the photo.
And that’s my story … now let’s check out an Extra Golden promo video followed by some links … and you’ll want to stick around until the end of this post, local retro video at the bottom.
Peter John Ramos and Fabricio Oberto catch a flight together and point in the general direction of each other while posing for a picture.
[Ball Don't Lie]
An report indicates that an Italian team, Cimberio Varese, might be targeting Wizards second round draft pick Hamady N’diaye, who remains unsigned by the Wiz.
On Saturday, Trevor Booker will earn his undergraduate degree in parks, recreation and tourism management from Clemson University.
JaVale McGee is one of five young NBA big men poised for a breakout this season.
First, Mike Jones, former Wizards beat reporter for the Washington Times, joined TBD.com. Now, it seems like David Aldridge is joining the team too. He will be writing a column and hosting a television show.
For more about TBD.com, Aaron Morrissey has a good review.
A Maryland lawmaker has been falsely claiming that he played for the Dallas Cowboys. Sounds classy.
[Washington City Paper]
Ricky Rubio highlights in a Spanish exhibition match against Canada on August 1st. And yes, he’s still not a Wizard. Oh well.
How NBA owners might get away with spending ridiculous amounts of money on questionable players this summer.
[NBA Facts & Rumors]
Ted Leonsis doesn’t think highly of The Real Housewives of DC, or much of reality TV as a whole. I’d have to agree … but there are also different types of reality TV. I’d deem Whale Wars, Survivor Man, Top Chef, Man vs. Wild, Deadliest Catch, Intervention, among others, along the lines of acceptable reality TV.
How Danny Ainge lured Shaq to Boston.
[Brain On Funk]
Shaq wants to fight Jim Rome. Trey Kerby writes:
“Sounds like an hour-long special to me. Set it up, because I’m sure this is what Celtics fans were hoping for when Danny Ainge pulled the trigger on picking up Shaq — total and complete dedication to winning another championship, except for not really and on TV.”
When soon-to-be Hall of Fame inductees, Karl Malone and John Stockton, cleaned out their Utah Jazz lockers on the day Stockton retired.
[Living and Dying by the Jazz]
“Gary” is ready to get down to business.
Finally, a D.C.-area 1980s commercial for Cavalier men’s shop … H/T to TAI’s Adam McGinnis.
- Trevor Booker: 2013-14 Washington Wizards Player Review
- TAI 5-on-5: The Wizards of the Past, Present, and Future
- Playoffs D.C. Council Game 2: Wizards 82 at Pacers 86: Wiz Kids Drown in Hero Ball While Hibbert Bails Out Indy’s Boat
- Playoffs D.C. Council Game 1: Wizards 102 at Pacers 96: Ariza and Beal Fire Their Engines, Exhaust Pacers
Recent TAI Posts
- Dissecting Rice: Will Glen Have the Grains for Regular Season Run? July 28, 2014
- Kevin Seraphin: Will Remain A Wizard, Will Sit Out FIBA World Cup Due to Knee Surgery July 24, 2014
- Bradley Beal: 2013-14 Washington Wizards Player Review July 24, 2014
- 2014 NBA Summer League Round-Up: Non-Wizards Edition July 23, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Lose to Kings in Semifinals, Leave Summer League 5-1 July 22, 2014
- Superofficial Subjective Gut Feelings about Kevin Durant’s Hypothetical Wizards Future July 21, 2014
- Jan Vesely Packs His Bags for Europe, Perhaps For Good July 20, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Rice & Porter Spur Wizards to Classic Summer League Victory in Triple-OT July 20, 2014
- Bradley Beal on Paul Pierce, Otto Porter, and Summer in Las Vegas July 18, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Wake Up Late to Advance in NBA Summer League Tourney July 18, 2014
- Paul Pierce Carries the Clutch, With an Assist from Jason Kidd July 17, 2014
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Escape Heat, Move to 3-0 in Summer League July 16, 2014