ShareBullets: JaVale McGee Cut From Team USA, John Wall Dancin’ Redskins & Mike James With A Megaphone
A D.C. picture, links and commentary …
[Howard Theater - 620 T St. NW - Washington, D.C. - K. Weidie]
By now you may know that JaVale McGee has been cut from Team USA … and it also served as another example of news coming directly from a player, via Twitter. This is somewhat disappointing (him being cut, not that word came by means of Twitter). Many signs/media reports gave you the feeling that McGee would at least be taken to Europe to participate in training and exhibitions leading up to the FIBA tournament in Turkey, and it would have been good for his development. Then again, maybe he didn’t want to go, knowing he wouldn’t make the final 12. Or perhaps the team thought it would be best for him to train stateside under the direction of the franchise. Regardless of the reason, a lot of eyes, D.C. and beyond, will be on McGee in 2010-11 because of this Team USA experience. If he becomes more of a student of the game, he can really be special.
Dan Steinberg conveys pretty much the gist of the Redskins’ Brandon Banks doing the John Wall dance after scoring a punt return touchdown in their exhibition opener against the Buffalo Bills. Banks did the dance in front of his boy from Raleigh, John Wall, no less.
[DC Sports Bog]
Even the website of a Lexington, Kentucky NBC television station is covering Banks doing the John Wall dance.
Which makes me wonder … how many corny television montages of various folks doing the John Wall dance are we going to see this year? Probably can’t be more than the number of media members who attempted the famed Albert Haynesworth conditioning test themselves.
And now, Chad Ocho Cinco is getting on board (the Bengals play the Broncos Sunday at 7 pm):
@jimmywa11 im doing the John Wall dance when i catch the ball for a first down tonight
Now, let’s watch Banks do the dance a couple times (and score a TD).
Check out this media release about Mike James’ celebrity weekend in his hometown of Amityville, located on Long Island, New York. Pretty impressive. Now here’s some pictures of the event:
Mike James with megaphone
Representing the New Orleans Hornets
Michael Lee profiled McGee’s experience with Team USA in Saturday’s Washington Post, I particularly liked this part:
“He’s not here by accident or mistake. He’s one of the most athletic players I’ve ever seen in my life,” said Odom, an 11-year NBA veteran who went over some individual low post drills with McGee during practice on Friday. “He’s 7-1, got like a David Robinson build, springs off the floor real quick, goes over the rim. If he can just get his feel for the game together, he can have an impact on a team. Because the game is called basketball, not run and jump.”
Andray Blatche recently held a free basketball clinic in Syracuse, the city where he grew up. Hard to believe, via the article, that Blatche and Wesley Johnson are the same age. Well, kinda … Johnson turned 23 on July 11, Blatche will turn 24 on August 22.
Caron Butler recently made a post to his blog on HoopsHype. In it he talks about how he will be working with Tim Grover for the first time for about four weeks before training camp; how he was not contacted by Team USA, but he would love to play; and how he’s been picking Magic Johnson’s brain in terms of developing businesses off the court.
Mike Miller has been working out with MMA fighters. “Yay.”
[Pro Basketball Talk]
In the Washington Post, Michael Lee has a feature story on Yi Jianlian and about how he’s the face of basketball for China.
I am high on the Orlando Magic, picked them to finish second in the East after the Heat. Here’s the argument I gave for a post on True Hoop:
After the Miami Heat, obviously, it will be the Orlando Magic battling for Eastern Conference supremacy … in front of the Celtics, and definitely in front of the Bulls, Hawks and Bucks. Why you ask? Well, let’s start with the depth. There’s not much turnover from last season’s 59-win team — they added a more solid backup guard in Chris Duhon, along with veteran Quentin Richardson and rookie Daniel Orton, and really only lost Matt Barnes. Jameer Nelson continues to be a leader by hosting his teammates for workouts in Philadelphia. And don’t forget that coach Stan Van Gundy signed a contract extension through 2012-13 (that constancy thing). Did I mention that Dwight Howard has been working with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer? The East has been warned. As Orlando continues to grow as a unit, while Miami tries to Frankenstein a three-headed monster and surrounding parts and Boston hires extra trainers to keep loose ligaments intact, best believe that the Magic will be in the picture to make the NBA Finals.
Ricky Rubio will be staying in Spain next season, if you must know.
Ted Leonsis’ former employer, AOL, is getting “bemoaned.”
Classic Steinberg on Jason Campbell’s debut with the Raiders.
[DC Sports Bog]
Chris Bosh played with my emoticons.
[The Basketball Jones]
The Office / ‘Star Wars’ Art. Genius.
[The Daily Wh.at]
Back to the Future Cast, Staff to Reunite for 25th Anniversary, Parkinson’s Research
Friday Morning Alarm Clock.
[Hot Hot Japan Hot]
[Looking past the Howard Theater down T Street at sunset.]
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 6: Wizards Get Bugged — By Injury and Hornets
- Coming in 2015: The Marcin Gortat Action Figure
- Key Legislature: Wizards 101 vs Maccabi Haifa 95, Preseason Gm 5 — Seraphin, Silas & Yung Simba Shine
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 4: Seraphin Game-Winner Just Another Day in #KSLife
- Key Legislature: Wizards 91 vs Pistons 89, Preseason Game 4 — The Professor Gets Clinical
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 1: Wizards-Bulls Tensions Renewed with Old-New Blood Pierce
- Key Legislature: Wizards 85 at Bulls 81, Preseason Game 1 — Pierce Pops Off
- Full Court Press: Wizards Training Camp Questions Part 2
Recent TAI Posts
- Key Legislature: Wizards 84 vs Pelicans 88 — Preseason Game 7, Baltimore Bounced by the Birds October 21, 2014
- Czech-ing Development: Tomas Satoransky vs Jiri Welsch October 20, 2014
- Hammers from Poland: New Goals, New Truths, New Wizards October 20, 2014
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 6: Wizards Get Bugged — By Injury and Hornets October 19, 2014
- Coming in 2015: The Marcin Gortat Action Figure October 17, 2014
- Suddenly, These Young Wizards Are Old as Dirt October 17, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 101 vs Maccabi Haifa 95, Preseason Gm 5 — Seraphin, Silas & Yung Simba Shine October 16, 2014
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 4: Seraphin Game-Winner Just Another Day in #KSLife October 15, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 91 vs Pistons 89, Preseason Game 4 — The Professor Gets Clinical October 13, 2014
- D.C. Council Preseason Game 1: Wizards-Bulls Tensions Renewed with Old-New Blood Pierce October 9, 2014
- Key Legislature: Wizards 85 at Bulls 81, Preseason Game 1 — Pierce Pops Off October 7, 2014
- Pierce Speaks Truth to Beal’s ‘Big Panda’ Moniker October 1, 2014