John Wall’s Got Jokes For Gilbert Arenas
There was a moment between Gilbert Arenas and John Wall at Wizards Media Day on Monday afternoon, a brief exchange which I described in the previous post that seemed to slightly reflect a developing bond between the two.
The returning smile from Arenas in response to Wall’s presumed mocking/joking with him about the pains and process of media attention eluded the cameras of Truth About It.net. But I was able to snap a couple photos and TAI’s Adam McGinnis was able to shoot some video of the fun-loving Jimmy Wall in all his glory.
In the big picture, this silly little incident doesn’t mean much. But it’s also been a long time since Wizards fans witnessed positive interactions between Arenas and his teammates. And it was especially interesting on a day where Arenas was trying his hardest not to smile.
I asked Wall about that moment and the relationship he’s built with Arenas, he said:
“It’s great. That’s where it really starts at, Coach Cal told me that, having a good relationship. If you can joke around and people not get serious and have a good time off the court, you just gotta take it on to the court. You gotta be more serious and give 110-percent on both ends, defense and offense. But you have a good relationship off the court as a team, it all is going to play into on the court so you can have a good time.”
Arenas looks to Wall, but he’s not smiling here …
Gilbert says that there’s no need to show happiness on the outside anymore. “The only place I want to smile is on the court. That’s where my job is, that’s where my love is. That’s the only time I need to smile now,” he mumbled to the media at Media Day.
Drat, the “media” gets its own day and Arenas doesn’t even want to be show happiness in front of them? What ever will they do?
At least Gil can take John Wall’s jokes and be happy in front of him.
Dan Steinberg has more on the reactions to ‘emo’ Gilbert at the DC Sports Bog.
- D.C. Council 12: Wizards at Bucks — Ship Steadied, Comeback Sealed
- Key Legislature: Wizards 111 at Bucks 100 — Pierce and His Wolfpack Shake Off Cleveland Hangover
- D.C. Council 11: Wizards vs Cavs — Lights-Out Wall Leaves Cleveland ‘in the Dark’
- Key Legislature: Wizards 91 vs Cavs 78 — Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Cavaliers, Game 11
- D.C. Council 10: Wizards vs Mavericks — Dallas Ponies Up, Washington Stuck at the Gate
- Key Legislature: Wizards 102 vs Mavericks 105: Information Overload Bluescreens Washington Defense
- Lining Up the Wizards (So Far); Pre-Game Quotes from Randy, Rick & Richard