John Wall’s Got Jokes For Gilbert Arenas
There was a moment between Gilbert Arenas and John Wall at Wizards Media Day on Monday afternoon, a brief exchange which I described in the previous post that seemed to slightly reflect a developing bond between the two.
The returning smile from Arenas in response to Wall’s presumed mocking/joking with him about the pains and process of media attention eluded the cameras of Truth About It.net. But I was able to snap a couple photos and TAI’s Adam McGinnis was able to shoot some video of the fun-loving Jimmy Wall in all his glory.
In the big picture, this silly little incident doesn’t mean much. But it’s also been a long time since Wizards fans witnessed positive interactions between Arenas and his teammates. And it was especially interesting on a day where Arenas was trying his hardest not to smile.
I asked Wall about that moment and the relationship he’s built with Arenas, he said:
“It’s great. That’s where it really starts at, Coach Cal told me that, having a good relationship. If you can joke around and people not get serious and have a good time off the court, you just gotta take it on to the court. You gotta be more serious and give 110-percent on both ends, defense and offense. But you have a good relationship off the court as a team, it all is going to play into on the court so you can have a good time.”
Arenas looks to Wall, but he’s not smiling here …
Gilbert says that there’s no need to show happiness on the outside anymore. “The only place I want to smile is on the court. That’s where my job is, that’s where my love is. That’s the only time I need to smile now,” he mumbled to the media at Media Day.
Drat, the “media” gets its own day and Arenas doesn’t even want to be show happiness in front of them? What ever will they do?
At least Gil can take John Wall’s jokes and be happy in front of him.
Dan Steinberg has more on the reactions to ‘emo’ Gilbert at the DC Sports Bog.
- D.C. Council Game 63: Wizards 90 at Heat 99: Wall, Wittman & Co. Sandbagged in South Beach
- Select Cuts from the Polish Hammer (Before He Met the ‘Biggest Hero’ of His Life: Steven Seagal)
- D.C. Council Game 62: Wizards 114 at Bucks 107: Wiz Nearly Skunked Suds in Brew City
- Richard Jefferson on Gilbert Arenas, Just Because
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- Ariza, Bruh: A Chill Life From Beyond the Arc Speaks After Playing Jazz
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- D.C. Council Game 60: Wizards 104 vs Grizzlies 110: Memphis Advances to Victory via Points Statistics