Captain Kirk and Captain Jimmy At Your Service
The position of team captain was an unstable one last year, especially after the trade winds when Earl Boykins and Mike Miller were pegged as the team leaders/representatives with the referees.
Slightly different story for 2010-11 …
On Monday afternoon, when I asked Flip Saunders who had arisen to fill the team captain position(s) this year, he sounded pretty confident that 20-year old John Wall and soon-to-be 30-year old Kirk Hinrich would be his men.
“Right now we’ve gone with Hinich and Wall. Those are the two guys, at this point, that have shown leadership through camp. So that’s where we’re at right now,” said the coach.
And about Arenas? …
“We just haven’t really talked,” said Saunders. “Those two guys have been our two most vocal guys and our two guys that have shown leadership.”
Other Quick Practice Notes:
- Ted Leonsis invited Yi Jianlian to sit in the owner’s box for tonight’s Washington Capitals game against the Ottawa Senators at the Verizon Center.
- Saunders indicated that he would probably go with the three-guard starting lineup (of Wall, Arenas and Hinrich) against the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday, the first home preseason game for the Wizards.
- Sam Cassell put in a lot of work with John Wall and Lester Hudson on guard post moves toward the end of practice. Most of it was joking around, but Cassell and Wall did have some fun one-on-one battles. Video to come …
- D.C. Council Game 63: Wizards 90 at Heat 99: Wall, Wittman & Co. Sandbagged in South Beach
- Select Cuts from the Polish Hammer (Before He Met the ‘Biggest Hero’ of His Life: Steven Seagal)
- D.C. Council Game 62: Wizards 114 at Bucks 107: Wiz Nearly Skunked Suds in Brew City
- Richard Jefferson on Gilbert Arenas, Just Because
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- Ariza, Bruh: A Chill Life From Beyond the Arc Speaks After Playing Jazz
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- D.C. Council Game 60: Wizards 104 vs Grizzlies 110: Memphis Advances to Victory via Points Statistics