Captain Kirk and Captain Jimmy At Your Service
The position of team captain was an unstable one last year, especially after the trade winds when Earl Boykins and Mike Miller were pegged as the team leaders/representatives with the referees.
Slightly different story for 2010-11 …
On Monday afternoon, when I asked Flip Saunders who had arisen to fill the team captain position(s) this year, he sounded pretty confident that 20-year old John Wall and soon-to-be 30-year old Kirk Hinrich would be his men.
“Right now we’ve gone with Hinich and Wall. Those are the two guys, at this point, that have shown leadership through camp. So that’s where we’re at right now,” said the coach.
And about Arenas? …
“We just haven’t really talked,” said Saunders. “Those two guys have been our two most vocal guys and our two guys that have shown leadership.”
Other Quick Practice Notes:
- Ted Leonsis invited Yi Jianlian to sit in the owner’s box for tonight’s Washington Capitals game against the Ottawa Senators at the Verizon Center.
- Saunders indicated that he would probably go with the three-guard starting lineup (of Wall, Arenas and Hinrich) against the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday, the first home preseason game for the Wizards.
- Sam Cassell put in a lot of work with John Wall and Lester Hudson on guard post moves toward the end of practice. Most of it was joking around, but Cassell and Wall did have some fun one-on-one battles. Video to come …
- Top 5 Things Wizards Are Good at Doing
- 50-Win Dreams and 5-Year Terms: One-Fifth of a Season with Marcin Gortat
- D.C. Council Game 18: Wizards 98 vs Magic 80: Where There’s Hookah Smoke, There’s Fire
- The Week in Wizards, the basketball ones — Nov. 25 to Dec. 1 (Wittman-isms, Video-bombs and Instagram)
- ‘Gotta Win’ vs. Weary Legs: What Choice Does Randy Wittman Have?
- D.C. Council Game 17: Wizards 108 vs Hawks 101: Wall Ballhawks, Nene’s Tendons Bounce Back
- D.C. Council Game 16: Wizards 73 at Pacers 93: John Wall Brought to a Screeching Halt
- D.C. Council Game 15: Wizards 100 at Bucks 92: Martell and Marcin Hold the Mayo