JaVale McGee Block of The Year: Remixed
Blazers Beat The Future By 35 Points
Portland all-knowingly jumped the passing lanes, the young Wizards usually filling the prophecy as expected. The Trailblazers bumped as they pleased on the boards, hassled like bill collectors on defense, and made the game look very, very easy. They had the confidence.
“They’re just some young guys getting some experience on the floor,” Wizards television play-by-play man Steve Buckhantz would implore during the broadcast of Washington’s 111-76 loss in Portland on Tuesday night. Not in so many words, but in several pixels of prose, as if freshly picked from the algorithm tree and laid gently into his lap by the monster.
It’s like the fate (disclaimer: I don’t believe in fate) of the Washington franchise’s basketball path is trying to outdo itself in the absurdity of highly-stacked odds against. Three-rookie starting lineups featuring John Wall, Jordan Crawford and Trevor Booker, with JaVale McGee and Yi Jianlian serving as de facto rookies posing as starters … along with all veteran players past, present and future unavailable for contribution. (Andray Blatche, Nick Young, Josh Howard, Rashard Lewis, Rex Chapman, Chris Webber, Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Larry Hughes and Mike Miller all sat out due to injury.) If the circumstance is unprecedented, you will hear about it.
Common mistakes and missed defensive assignments are accepted and approved as understandable. Lack of consistent hustle, selfish forays to the hoop and unfocused execution are ills seen too often, doctrine for some. The kids are swimming, but will 35 point losses in front of fervid Blazers fans help them build confidence? For some it will, for others it will not. Here’s to now searching for promise amidst those who won’t cut it in a promised future.
In other news: JaVale McGee had a stylized block, of the year.
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nuggets, Game 20
- Pour Out a Little Liquor for All the Ex-Wizards, the 2013-14 NBA Season is Here
- Things About the 2013-14 Wizards Schedule That You Must Know Because It’s The Internet
- This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is Upon Us: JaVale McGee Handed Keys to Denver Nuggets
- How to Alienate Players and Lose a Lot of Games: The Washington Wizards Way
- DC Council Game 53: Wizards 119 vs Nuggets 113: Flying Feet & Paint Toughness Run Denver Out of Town
- DC Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Nuggets, Game 53
- DC Council Game 37: Wizards 112 at Nuggets 108: Wall's Mile-High Free Throw Redemption