Wizards Talk: Flip Saunders & John Wall Post Thunder
Looking for us?
Sad bench shots never die.
All the questions seem the same. The answers all come out of a box. But dammit these people are working … the media covering struggling basketball teams such as the Wizards.
Everybody is usually laughing and joking around in the press conference room before Flip Saunders’ post game sessions. It’s to that point. But when Flip comes in (assuming after a loss, per usual), the stone-faced come out. There are tough questions, there are softballs, there are random ones peppered from abroad about the development of Yi.
But these days the coach is a little lighter, more comfortable. Similar to his post-trade deadline demeanor last season.
“Go ahead,” Flip said with a tinge of sarcasm as he sat down in front of the media after his Wizards lost to the Thunder 116-89 on Monday night. His attitude said, ‘Bring your best, because I already know.’
Three seated reporters against the wall formed the short end of an “L” with the first row of chairs parallel to the table Saunders sits at during press conferences. Before answering any questions, the coach looked to his right at the row sitting in orange cafeteria-style chairs and joked, “You guys look like you’re in school.”
Ice, broken. And then the proceedings commenced. Later, some blues riff ‘Bad to the Bone’ mobile phone ring went off from one of the school boys. Saunders didn’t skip a beat, saying, “That’s a $500 fine,” before turning his attention back to the questioner at the center of the room.
But all the questions are the same these days. Or wait, did I say seem the same?
In the least, both Saunders and John Wall calculate, but don’t mince their words. They are earnest. Both, especially Wall, don’t seem like the type who want to get used to this losing. Below, they talk about youth, rebuilding and frustrations after losing to the young Thunder team that everyone loves.
Wizards Talk: Flip & John
Remember these days?
- D.C. Council 12: Wizards at Bucks — Ship Steadied, Comeback Sealed
- Key Legislature: Wizards 111 at Bucks 100 — Pierce and His Wolfpack Shake Off Cleveland Hangover
- D.C. Council 11: Wizards vs Cavs — Lights-Out Wall Leaves Cleveland ‘in the Dark’
- Key Legislature: Wizards 91 vs Cavs 78 — Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Cavaliers, Game 11
- D.C. Council 10: Wizards vs Mavericks — Dallas Ponies Up, Washington Stuck at the Gate
- Key Legislature: Wizards 102 vs Mavericks 105: Information Overload Bluescreens Washington Defense
- Lining Up the Wizards (So Far); Pre-Game Quotes from Randy, Rick & Richard