Wizards Talk: Flip Saunders & John Wall Post Thunder
Looking for us?
Sad bench shots never die.
All the questions seem the same. The answers all come out of a box. But dammit these people are working … the media covering struggling basketball teams such as the Wizards.
Everybody is usually laughing and joking around in the press conference room before Flip Saunders’ post game sessions. It’s to that point. But when Flip comes in (assuming after a loss, per usual), the stone-faced come out. There are tough questions, there are softballs, there are random ones peppered from abroad about the development of Yi.
But these days the coach is a little lighter, more comfortable. Similar to his post-trade deadline demeanor last season.
“Go ahead,” Flip said with a tinge of sarcasm as he sat down in front of the media after his Wizards lost to the Thunder 116-89 on Monday night. His attitude said, ‘Bring your best, because I already know.’
Three seated reporters against the wall formed the short end of an “L” with the first row of chairs parallel to the table Saunders sits at during press conferences. Before answering any questions, the coach looked to his right at the row sitting in orange cafeteria-style chairs and joked, “You guys look like you’re in school.”
Ice, broken. And then the proceedings commenced. Later, some blues riff ‘Bad to the Bone’ mobile phone ring went off from one of the school boys. Saunders didn’t skip a beat, saying, “That’s a $500 fine,” before turning his attention back to the questioner at the center of the room.
But all the questions are the same these days. Or wait, did I say seem the same?
In the least, both Saunders and John Wall calculate, but don’t mince their words. They are earnest. Both, especially Wall, don’t seem like the type who want to get used to this losing. Below, they talk about youth, rebuilding and frustrations after losing to the young Thunder team that everyone loves.
Wizards Talk: Flip & John
Remember these days?
- The Superofficial TAI Staff Wizards Playoff Forecast (and Season Look-Back)
- D.C. Council 82: Wizards 118 at Celtics 102: What Securing Seed 5 in Game 82 Looks Like
- Wizards Take 5-Seed in East, Sam Cassell on Wall and Beal: ‘These My Guards’
- D.C. Council 81: Wizards 114 vs Heat 93: Wiz Toss Miami Laundry Into Cold Wash
- D.C. Council Game 80: Wizards 104 vs. Bucks 91: Wiz Go Big Buck Hunting in Second Half
- Opening Statements: Wizards vs Bucks, Game 79
- D.C. Council 79: Wizards 96 at Magic 86: Wiz Find Enough Elixir to End Sluggish Spell
- VIDEO: The Wizards Said WHAT? ‘We ain’t going to beat anybody, including Milwaukee’