Wizards Talk: Flip Saunders & John Wall Post Thunder
Looking for us?
Sad bench shots never die.
All the questions seem the same. The answers all come out of a box. But dammit these people are working … the media covering struggling basketball teams such as the Wizards.
Everybody is usually laughing and joking around in the press conference room before Flip Saunders’ post game sessions. It’s to that point. But when Flip comes in (assuming after a loss, per usual), the stone-faced come out. There are tough questions, there are softballs, there are random ones peppered from abroad about the development of Yi.
But these days the coach is a little lighter, more comfortable. Similar to his post-trade deadline demeanor last season.
“Go ahead,” Flip said with a tinge of sarcasm as he sat down in front of the media after his Wizards lost to the Thunder 116-89 on Monday night. His attitude said, ‘Bring your best, because I already know.’
Three seated reporters against the wall formed the short end of an “L” with the first row of chairs parallel to the table Saunders sits at during press conferences. Before answering any questions, the coach looked to his right at the row sitting in orange cafeteria-style chairs and joked, “You guys look like you’re in school.”
Ice, broken. And then the proceedings commenced. Later, some blues riff ‘Bad to the Bone’ mobile phone ring went off from one of the school boys. Saunders didn’t skip a beat, saying, “That’s a $500 fine,” before turning his attention back to the questioner at the center of the room.
But all the questions are the same these days. Or wait, did I say seem the same?
In the least, both Saunders and John Wall calculate, but don’t mince their words. They are earnest. Both, especially Wall, don’t seem like the type who want to get used to this losing. Below, they talk about youth, rebuilding and frustrations after losing to the young Thunder team that everyone loves.
Wizards Talk: Flip & John
Remember these days?
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- D.C. Council Game 60: Wizards 104 vs Grizzlies 110: Memphis Advances to Victory via Points Statistics
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Grizzlies vs Wizards, Game 60
- D.C. Council Game 59: Wizards 122 at 76ers 103: Bubba Chuck’s Night Stolen by Hookah Arms Ariza
- D.C. Council: Wizards 134 at Raptors 129: Wiz Kids (and #WizVets) Dig Triple-OT Deep, Score Dino-Sized Bones
- Portraits, Vignettes & Instagrams from 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans
- D.C. Council Game 57: Wizards 115 vs Magic 106: Splash of Class Helps Magic Sugar Pill Go Down