Summer Memories: JaVale McGee vs DeMarcus Cousins
Thanksgiving is fast approaching, but the Lost NBA Season (now in full effect) leaves us with a bit less to be thankful for this year. On the bright side, it gives us an opportunity to remember what we can of the past. Shall we?
When the Goodman and Drew Leagues faced off in their inaugural summer league exhibition game back in August, one of most intriguing battles turned out to be the face-off between Washington Wizards center JaVale McGee and Sacramento Kings big man DeMarcus Cousins. McGee showed off his athleticism and shot-blocking prowess, while Cousins countered with his strong power post-up game and rebounding dominance.
Although their physiques are obviously different, both players do have some similarities. No one can question their elite athletic ability, as they do things on the basketball court few at their size can pull off. Yet, both also sometimes think they’re guards; JaVale is famous for showcasing his dribbling “talents,” and deep down Cousins loves to launch threes.
Both have had fisticuffs with teammates that led to team-sanctioned suspensions. Goodman League commissioner Miles Rawls has nicknamed Cousins “Bad Attitude,” with good reason, and McGee constantly possesses an on-court scowl. Both love to raise the blood pressure of their coaches with mental lapses and by taking plays off. Most importantly to fans, both have potential to be solid performing anchors for their respective franchises for a long time.
The following video contains highlights of the duo from that D.C. summer evening at a packed Trinity University that I recorded with my Flip Cam, so bear with me on some of the grainy footage.
There are also interviews featuring John Wall, DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors, Craig Smith of the Los Angeles Clippers, and event MC, ex-NBA star Marques Johnson.
Watch to find out who Wall opined to have a better game between his current pro teammate or former college teammate.
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- D.C. Council Game 60: Wizards 104 vs Grizzlies 110: Memphis Advances to Victory via Points Statistics
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Grizzlies vs Wizards, Game 60
- D.C. Council Game 59: Wizards 122 at 76ers 103: Bubba Chuck’s Night Stolen by Hookah Arms Ariza
- D.C. Council: Wizards 134 at Raptors 129: Wiz Kids (and #WizVets) Dig Triple-OT Deep, Score Dino-Sized Bones
- Drew Gooden Has a Spirit Animal and An Irreverent Role in Wizards Lore
- Portraits, Vignettes & Instagrams from 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans