Summer Memories: JaVale McGee vs DeMarcus Cousins
Thanksgiving is fast approaching, but the Lost NBA Season (now in full effect) leaves us with a bit less to be thankful for this year. On the bright side, it gives us an opportunity to remember what we can of the past. Shall we?
When the Goodman and Drew Leagues faced off in their inaugural summer league exhibition game back in August, one of most intriguing battles turned out to be the face-off between Washington Wizards center JaVale McGee and Sacramento Kings big man DeMarcus Cousins. McGee showed off his athleticism and shot-blocking prowess, while Cousins countered with his strong power post-up game and rebounding dominance.
Although their physiques are obviously different, both players do have some similarities. No one can question their elite athletic ability, as they do things on the basketball court few at their size can pull off. Yet, both also sometimes think they’re guards; JaVale is famous for showcasing his dribbling “talents,” and deep down Cousins loves to launch threes.
Both have had fisticuffs with teammates that led to team-sanctioned suspensions. Goodman League commissioner Miles Rawls has nicknamed Cousins “Bad Attitude,” with good reason, and McGee constantly possesses an on-court scowl. Both love to raise the blood pressure of their coaches with mental lapses and by taking plays off. Most importantly to fans, both have potential to be solid performing anchors for their respective franchises for a long time.
The following video contains highlights of the duo from that D.C. summer evening at a packed Trinity University that I recorded with my Flip Cam, so bear with me on some of the grainy footage.
There are also interviews featuring John Wall, DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors, Craig Smith of the Los Angeles Clippers, and event MC, ex-NBA star Marques Johnson.
Watch to find out who Wall opined to have a better game between his current pro teammate or former college teammate.
- 50-Win Dreams and 5-Year Terms: One-Fifth of a Season with Marcin Gortat
- D.C. Council Game 18: Wizards 98 vs Magic 80: Where There’s Hookah Smoke, There’s Fire
- The Week in Wizards, the basketball ones — Nov. 25 to Dec. 1 (Wittman-isms, Video-bombs and Instagram)
- ‘Gotta Win’ vs. Weary Legs: What Choice Does Randy Wittman Have?
- D.C. Council Game 17: Wizards 108 vs Hawks 101: Wall Ballhawks, Nene’s Tendons Bounce Back
- D.C. Council Game 16: Wizards 73 at Pacers 93: John Wall Brought to a Screeching Halt
- D.C. Council Game 15: Wizards 100 at Bucks 92: Martell and Marcin Hold the Mayo
- D.C. Council Game 14: Wizards 116 vs Lakers 111: Nene Goes Hollywood