Karaoke With The Washington Wizards Rookies
Wizards owner Ted Leonsis said he would release it on DVD, but footage of Washington Wizards rookies singing karaoke last Wednesday remains unseen. Still, it was the talk of the Verizon Center on Media Day Thursday.
Flashback to the Tuesday before, Wizards rookie guard Shelvin Mack was asked if he had been hazed yet, and if he had a song ready to sing (as singing in front of an audience is tradition for team rooks during training camp).
“I had to get some donuts, it wasn’t too bad, but I haven’t had to sing anything in front of anyone … I got one [song] prepared just in case they try to pop one out on me.”
That “in case” happened during dinner at Hill Country Barbecue Market near DC’s Chinatown/Penn Quarter section. Mack, along with fellow rookies Jan Vesely and Chris Singleton, were made to bellow out tunes, karaoke style. According to Leonsis, Vesely brought the house down with a Serbian polka, while Andray Blatche revealed that the Singleton and Mack duo butchered a rap song.
The media peppered Vesely about more details on the polka, but he played coy. Rashard Lewis had one verdict on Jan’s version of Serbian Idol, “It sounded like he was just screaming up there the whole time.”
Jordan Crawford said Vesely had the audience involved: “He got into it, got the whole crowd into it.”
Lewis also relayed that Mack and Singleton’s song was “Riding Around, Getting It.” The Google machine spits out “Spend It” by Tity Boi, but it still is unconfirmed if this was the actual song. Of Mack’s lyrical skills, Lewis said, “Shelvin did get a little tounge twisted with the words, but it was all out of fun.”
The following video is a compilation of the Wizards talking about that karaoke performance…
- Tony Kornheiser Said WHAT? More Opinion on Vesely, Maynor, Andre Miller, and Grunfeld
- So About Jan Vesely’s Debut With the Nuggets… (But There Were Smiles)
- When It’s #MaynorTime To Go: Trade Reactions and #AirWolf Vesely Farewells
- D.C. Council Game 54: Wizards 114 at Hawks 97: Everything’s Peachy in the ATL
- Goodbye #VeselyAlert, Goodbye #MaynorTime, Wizards Make Move of Necessity to Band-Aid Self-Inflicted Wounds
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Hawks, Game 54
- Playoffs Or Bust? The Wizards Franchise Optimism Index, Take Three
- D.C. Council Game 47: Wizards 100 vs Trail Blazers 90: Final Fantasy .511