Sounds of Flip Sounding Off After Wizards Loss To Sixers
“I was tired of looking at that sh*t.”
That was Flip Saunders’ surly response to why he yanked all five of his starters two minutes into the second half of the Washington Wizards’ 25-point blowout preseason loss to the Philadelphia 76ers last Friday night.
Saunders was highly disappointed in the effort of the first unit by their insufficient ball movement, lack of trust in one another and overall selfish play.
“This is a team game, and it is not about individuals … it is the five players that play the best together and that is your best team, not the five most talented player. If you don’t play and you’re not giving effort as a team, you are not going to play, no matter who it is.”
Flip’s remedy for self-centered play:
“I know one thing, if they are sitting down, they wont be hogging the ball.”
John Wall’s game was described as “terrible” by Flip, and he underscored that his best player has to produce.
“John can not play 25 minutes and turn the ball over six times and have two or three assists … he knows that too. You have no chance when your best player has the ball in his hands a lot, that can’t happen.”
The coach was aggravated that the hard work of training camp did not translate over to the game, especially three areas emphasized in camp: turnovers, defense and rebounding.
“Not turning the basketball over, defending, and rebounding … two of those were especially bad and one of those really bad.”
Washington’s preseason rematch versus Philadelphia will be on NBA TV Tuesday night at 7 pm, a nice stage for a young team to respond to Flip’s sounding off.
- Key Legislature: Wizards 125 vs Raptors 94 — D.C. Extinction Event Ends Toronto’s Season
- Opening Statements: Rd. 1, Gm. 4 — Polished and Proud in Pursuit of History
- Key Legislature: Wizards 106 vs Raptors 99 — 3-Point Butter on Pick-and-Roll Bread
- DC Council Round 1, Game 3: Wizards vs. Raptors — The Odd Couple Has Arrived
- Truth Hurts: That’s Why They Brought Him Here
- Opening Statements: Rd. 1, Gm. 3 — A Victor’s Pursuit of History
- DC Council Round 1, Game 2: Wizards at Raptors — Wall and Beal Make Light Work of Weighty Win
- Key Legislature: Wizards 117 at Raptors 106 — The Night the Lights Went Out on Maple Leaf Square