Wizards Mini-Camp Wrap-Up Flow Into Vegas
The Washington Wizards concluded their pre-Summer League mini-camp this week after seven practices and a scrimmage at the Verizon Center practice court facility. As the Wizards prepare for their first summer action since 2010 due to the lockout, intriguing story lines are plentiful.
- Is Bradley Beal the Real Deal? (22 solid points in his summer debut isn’t shabby.)
- Will Jan Vesely expand his offensive game? (Summer League jumpers! Three of them! But, he fouled out with 10 fouls.)
- Can Chris Singleton bounce back from a disappointing rookie season? (Still seems to lack instinct and confidence on offense, but took out some aggression in the second half and scored 20 total points.)
- Does Steady Shelvin Mack have what it takes to be a legit NBA point guard? (Defense is there, but lack of quickness could hinder him as a scorer.)
- Who is Tomas Satoransky, exactly? (Certainly not the quickest initiator of offiense.)
- Can anyone else on the roster make a splash to earn a training camp invite? (Long shots to be determined….)
- Something to watch out for is how Satoransky, who has been predominantly a point guard, plays off the ball; Randy Wittman is especially focused on seeing his versatility.
- Shelvin Mack remarked that Satoransky finished a one-on-two fast break in mini-camp and dropped hints the 20-year old Czech Republic guard could surprise some people.
- Wittman mentioned that Singleton is playing much more consistently during mini-camp after taking nights off last season on the defensive end.
- Singleton’s shot has improved drastically due to him focusing on a high release point (no more line drives).
- Beal is just happy to play in a real game again, because he has not been in once since his last lost at Florida in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.
- Jordan Crawford was observing the workouts while chatting it up with assistant coach Sam Cassell and sporting some stylish sweatpants cut-offs (pic below). Wittman jokingly asked Crawford if he bought those pants made like that or if he cut them up himself. J-Craw said he purchased them that way.
- Satoranksy and Vesely worked on on a two-man pick-and-roll shooting drill. Both were knocking down shots consistently, and you could see developing chemistry between the Czech Republic countrymen. Satoransky has a developed floater that could be something to watch.
- Wittman joked that he made Satoransky and Vesely only talk English because he was worried that they were talking about him in Czech. Satoransky acknowledged the speaking sanctions, but disputed they were saying bad things about their coach, “No, no, no — never. We are not cursing, we are not speaking about anyone. We are just joking around.”
- Satoransky has not decided a time frame for his decision on joining the Czech Republic national team, and said he will not try to convince Vesely to play. “Only his mom can do that,” Satoransky declared.
Here is a video footage of the young Wiz kids executing shooting drills:
Mack and Beal during a shooting drill.]
- DC Council Round 1, Game 2: Wizards at Raptors — Wall and Beal Make Light Work of Weighty Win
- Key Legislature: Wizards 117 at Raptors 106 — The Night the Lights Went Out on Maple Leaf Square
- Youth Will Be Served: Wall, Beal and Porter Claim The North
- Opening Statements: Rd. 1, Gm. 2 — Raptors Are For The Birds