Just Watch Martell Webster Talk
Let’s not fawn over the new Wizard who’s a good quote. (And we mostly mean ‘basketball’ good quote, not so much ‘poop-in-shoe’ story good quote.)
And let’s be cool before we dub Martell Webster as a “sleeper.” I don’t want guys on the basketball team that I watch sleeping. (But yea, I’ve previously said that Webster could be a steal of a sign by the one and only Ernest Grunfeld.)
Sure, it’s great that Webster followed up an 18-point performance (6-for-12 FGs in 25 minutes) against the Charlotte Bobcats on Sunday with a 12 point, 10 rebound showing in 27 minutes off the bench against the New York Knicks on Thursday. It’s the preseason, folks.
But whatever the case, just take some time and watch Webster talk in the video above.
Martell, how do you get your team to stop pounding the basketball into submission instead of running the offense?
“Steady pace. You don’t just bring the house down on them. You slowly come up to them, encourage them to, ‘Look, look… Listen. We’re pounding the ball a little too much. The pass is faster than the dribble, and we gotta adjust to it.’
The worst thing you can do is just bring the house down on a player, because not all players are built like that. That’s just how the league is; some people can understand the message, some people fall victim to, ‘Oh he’s yelling.’
So those are one of the things that you just kind of got to lay back, and just kind of like, ‘Oh, it’s preseason, we’ll work through it.’ That’s when we get in here, and we watch film, and we go out and execute on the practice court. And then you’ll start to get some turnover. But right now, we’re just working out all the kinks to get this machine running fluid.”
So, Martell, do you want to be a coach someday?
“NO! … I have three kids, I’m already a coach. Coaching a whole bunch of knuckleheads… I can’t do it. I can’t DO it.”
- Otto Porter’s Magical Night: A Tale of Readiness
- D.C. Council Game 59: Wizards 122 at 76ers 103: Bubba Chuck’s Night Stolen by Hookah Arms Ariza
- D.C. Council: Wizards 134 at Raptors 129: Wiz Kids (and #WizVets) Dig Triple-OT Deep, Score Dino-Sized Bones
- D.C. Council Game 57: Wizards 115 vs Magic 106: Splash of Class Helps Magic Sugar Pill Go Down
- The Wizards Said WHAT? Martell Webster Videobombs, #DadLife, and #NeneJams FTW
- D.C. Council Opening Statements: Wizards vs Hawks, Game 54
- D.C. Council Game 49: Wizards 113 vs Cavaliers 115: Defensively Cavalier Toward .500 Basketball Nothingness
- D.C. Council Game 48: Wizards 118 vs Spurs 125 (2 OT): Patty Makes Cake of the Wiz Kids