Just Watch Martell Webster Talk
Let’s not fawn over the new Wizard who’s a good quote. (And we mostly mean ‘basketball’ good quote, not so much ‘poop-in-shoe’ story good quote.)
And let’s be cool before we dub Martell Webster as a “sleeper.” I don’t want guys on the basketball team that I watch sleeping. (But yea, I’ve previously said that Webster could be a steal of a sign by the one and only Ernest Grunfeld.)
Sure, it’s great that Webster followed up an 18-point performance (6-for-12 FGs in 25 minutes) against the Charlotte Bobcats on Sunday with a 12 point, 10 rebound showing in 27 minutes off the bench against the New York Knicks on Thursday. It’s the preseason, folks.
But whatever the case, just take some time and watch Webster talk in the video above.
Martell, how do you get your team to stop pounding the basketball into submission instead of running the offense?
“Steady pace. You don’t just bring the house down on them. You slowly come up to them, encourage them to, ‘Look, look… Listen. We’re pounding the ball a little too much. The pass is faster than the dribble, and we gotta adjust to it.’
The worst thing you can do is just bring the house down on a player, because not all players are built like that. That’s just how the league is; some people can understand the message, some people fall victim to, ‘Oh he’s yelling.’
So those are one of the things that you just kind of got to lay back, and just kind of like, ‘Oh, it’s preseason, we’ll work through it.’ That’s when we get in here, and we watch film, and we go out and execute on the practice court. And then you’ll start to get some turnover. But right now, we’re just working out all the kinks to get this machine running fluid.”
So, Martell, do you want to be a coach someday?
“NO! … I have three kids, I’m already a coach. Coaching a whole bunch of knuckleheads… I can’t do it. I can’t DO it.”
- D.C. Council 79: Wizards 96 at Magic 86: Wiz Find Enough Elixir to End Sluggish Spell
- D.C. Council 77: Wizards 78 vs Bulls 96: Bulls On Parade Behind Raging Defensive Machine
- D.C. Council 74: Wizards 94 at Bobcats 100: Clumps of Basketballs in the Playoff Litter Box
- D.C. Council 71: Wizards 93 vs Suns 99: Wiz Forget Sun Screen, Get Burnt by Long-Distance Rays
- D.C. Council 69: Wizards 117 at Lakers 107: Wall and Wiz Sweep Hollywood Issues Under the Rug
- D.C. Council 65: Wizards 105 at Magic 101: Heroics From Beal and Wall Save the #SoWizards
- D.C. Council 63: Wizards 90 at Heat 99: Wall, Wittman & Co. Sandbagged in South Beach
- Otto Porter’s Magical Night: A Tale of Readiness