On Kevin Seraphin and Confidence
Kevin Seraphin has only played one game, but if Wizards fans are looking for something positive, it’s him. And pretty much only him. (Although we won’t discount the stylings of Martell Webster.)
Kevin has confidence right now, and that makes all the difference in the world. As Randy Wittman tells it:
“Kevin, his first year, played with zero confidence — couldn’t catch the ball, couldn’t dribble the ball, couldn’t shoot the ball — because he didn’t have any confidence. And now look at him. That’s strictly a lot just to do with confidence. He would do those things in practice, he did those same kind of things — jump hook, a little 10-12 foot jump shot, nice touch — but in the game he had no friggin’ confidence, and he looked like he was lost. That’s the perfect example. And it doesn’t matter if you’re a rookie or you’re a 12-year man, if you’re out there with no confidence, you’re not going to do very many good things.”
Seems like a lot of Wizards can take cues from Seraphin — Wittman would love that. But if finding confidence were easy, everyone would have it. Regardless, I’m not advocating for any other Wizard to go out and get a big angel with six wings tattooed on their backs.
Otherwise, Coach Wittman won’t be changing his starting lineup, at least not for tonight’s game against Boston. But keep an eye on Big Kev. If he can keep defenses guessing with both his ability to bruise in the paint and kick out to the perimeter when attracting attention, the Wizards won’t be able to afford to keep him out the starting lineup while sending nine-year veteran Emeka Okafor to the bench.
- D.C. Council Game 62: Wizards 114 at Bucks 107: Wiz Nearly Skunked Suds in Brew City
- D.C. Council Game 61: Wizards 104 vs Jazz 91: AARP #WizVets Chase Jazz Off Capitol Lawn
- John Wall is… Fast? Paced? Randy Wittman, Tyrone Corbin & Richard Jefferson Speak On It
- Otto Porter’s Magical Night: A Tale of Readiness
- ‘Math Basketball’ and Numbers You Can Stick: David Joerger and Randy Wittman CoachSpeak
- D.C. Council Game 59: Wizards 122 at 76ers 103: Bubba Chuck’s Night Stolen by Hookah Arms Ariza
- Otto Porter Totally “Gets” His Liminal State
- D.C. Council: Wizards 134 at Raptors 129: Wiz Kids (and #WizVets) Dig Triple-OT Deep, Score Dino-Sized Bones