The Reaction: John Wall Did What? Dropped a Career-High 47, That's What
“Guys, you don’t really understand what he went through this year.”
—Randy Wittman on John Wall’s season-beginning injury.
[And now, The Reaction, a k a my submission to ESPN's Daily Dime.]
John Wall. Even after Wall dropped 10 points on five jumpers in the first quarter, no one expected a career-high 47. Not against the defensive-minded Grizzlies. Not with Tony Allen on the case. But the points continued, 17 coming in the fourth quarter as the Wiz outscored the Griz by 11 to take the win. Also impressive: Wall’s eight assists and seven rebounds to just two turnovers.
Emeka Okafor’s production has drastically increased since Wall’s mid-January return. Next to the budding point guard, Okafor’s average points have increased by 3.6, rebounds by 3.1, and field goal percentage by 5.5 percent. Against Memphis, Okafor contributed a much-needed 21 points and nine rebounds.
That was … unexpected.
Sure, the Grizzlies were without Marc Gasol, but they’re still one of the top six teams in NBA. And sure, the Wizards have been playing better with Wall (21-16, to be exact). But Washington was also without the services of five of their top seven players on Monday: Nene, Trevor Ariza, Bradley Beal, Martell Webster, and A.J. Price. Like I said, unexpected.
Yep, John Wall scored a lot and stuff. Specifically, 19 points came from the free throw line (where he missed five), six points came at the rim, and the rest came via jumpers—from 17, 16, 19, 20, 13, 16, 26, 20, 18 and 27 feet. Very Watergate.
But let’s also take a look at this sweet, volleyball spike block Wall got against Jerryd Bayless.
- D.C. Council Game 20: Wizards 74 vs Nuggets 75: Golden Chances Up in Hookah Smoke
- Gortat on Getting Punked, Rebounding Like a Guard, and That Play With Ariza
- Randy Wittman on Jordan Crawford, Eastern Conference Player of the Week
- The Week in Wizards, the basketball ones — Dec. 2 to 8 (Debuts, Injuries & Pink Elephants)
- D.C. Council Game 19: Wizards 105 vs Bucks 109: The #SoWizards Way to Lose .500
- John Wall’s Crossover 360 Scoop Shot Charge (Plus Nate Wolters Crossover Fist Pump!)
- John Wall on the Eastern Conference and Why He’s Finishing Better At the Rim
- Another Day, Another Martell Webster Pixelbomb (featuring John Wall)