On the Scene at the 2013 NBA Draft Lottery: Bradley Beal for the Win?
Draft Lottery night is also an evening for dumb questions, such as the requisite “did you bring anything for good luck?” Beal did not bring anything for good luck, he says, but indicated he was wearing the same burnt umber tie that he wore the night 2012. He also didn’t voice an opinion on whether the Wizards should keep the pick, stating that “it was up to Ernie and the front office, but you can see that we were doing better at the end of the year.”
More interesting news is Beal’s injury status, which remains uncertain. Beal told me that he was going in for another x-ray next week, but wasn’t particularly worried about the timetable or how he was healing. After talking to the Washington Post‘s Michael Lee, the reality is that the original recovery schedule may have been a tad agressive; waiting another four weeks till Beal is back and engaged in basketball related activities would not be entirely surprising.
Beal, however, was incredibly candid when it came to the resigning of Martell Webster: “Gotta resign Martell. Love that guy. Hits down open shots, high energy, court and locker room leader … love him, you gotta resign him.” This should be music to the ears of Webster, who is positioned to eat up the Wizards’ MLE.
Thus far, the highlight of the night has been David Stern, as this is one of his last opportunities to harangue and bully the press. During his short time on the podium, Stern lit into reporters with relish, noting that all four teams currently left competing for the NBA Finals were from the bottom 50 percent television markets in the league. He also bragged that dress code policies have led to NBA players appearing in GQ. The swagger is such that I almost fear that Stern will not be stepping down in nine months, and instead pull a Bloomberg (or a Jay Leno) and stay for just a bit longer (sorry, Adam Silver, perhaps).
Now, the media has been locked up in our tiny media room with requisite poor Internet to wait for the cards to be revealed. I’m not sure if Wizards PR knows that I have a G-Wiz doll and an Antonio Daniels jersey in my bag, but someone has to make up for Beal’s good luck charm tie snafu.
- D.C. Council 82: Wizards 118 at Celtics 102: What Securing Seed 5 in Game 82 Looks Like
- Wizards Take 5-Seed in East, Sam Cassell on Wall and Beal: ‘These My Guards’
- D.C. Council 81: Wizards 114 vs Heat 93: Wiz Toss Miami Laundry Into Cold Wash
- D.C. Council Game 80: Wizards 104 vs. Bucks 91: Wiz Go Big Buck Hunting in Second Half
- D.C. Council 79: Wizards 96 at Magic 86: Wiz Find Enough Elixir to End Sluggish Spell
- VIDEO: The Wizards Said WHAT? ‘We ain’t going to beat anybody, including Milwaukee’
- D.C. Council 78: Wizards 88 vs Bobcats 94: #SoWizards Magic Turns Bobcats Into Lions
- Joakim Noah Bummed Over Gators Loss, Thinks Shooters Like Bradley Beal Deserve A Beer