What Mattered, What Didn’t: Wizards Summer League Game 1—Otto, Rice, C-Sing & Sam-I-Am
[It's just Summer League... Still, what mattered? And what didn't? From Las Vegas...]
Glen Rice, Jr.’s rebounding —->
I’d heard about Rice’s prowess on the glass—he averaged 9.5 rebounds per 36 minutes in 42 D-League contests last season—but in person, at Summer League, the effort is very encouraging. I’m a believer in solid rebounding statistics translating to success; people say you can’t measure effort and hustle, but rebounds come close.
Plus, Rice posterized poor Gary McGhee (no relation to the alternately-spelled last name of JaVale), as evidenced by the photo above. But let’s hear Rice talk about rebounding.
Chris Singleton, sorta —->Singleton led the Wizards with 13 points on 4-for-9 shooting from the field and 5-for-7 from the free throw line. He was assertive and aggressive, as one would expect from a third-year player still trying to find his way in summer league. It wasn’t the most positive game, but it was a positive step. Sam Cassell praised Singleton’s overall decision-making on the day, but the coach certainly wasn’t a fan of the four turnovers.
Otto Porter’s lackluster debut —->
It’s OK, you can be disappointed with Otto Porter’s Summer League debut. He didn’t assume that confidence befitting of the third overall pick, and the picture below kind of epitomizes his day. But it doesn’t matter… because it was just one summer league game. Let’s see if this matters after two games, or three.
Sam Cassell said he started Porter at the 2 guard, indicating that the Wizards are trying to figure out what he can do on offense. So expect Porter to play some 3, maybe bring the ball up the floor sometimes, as he searches for his comfort zone.
“He’s gotta find his own offense sometimes,” Cassell said. “I can run things for him, get him some shots, but suppose they take it away… now what? That’s the thing that he’s gotta figure out, and he’ll figure it out … he’ll figure it out. He did it at Georgetown, he’ll do it here.”
Sam Cassell popping his collar —->
Certainly doesn’t matter, but fun nonetheless.
- Dissecting Rice: Will Glen Have the Grains for Regular Season Run?
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Lose to Kings in Semifinals, Leave Summer League 5-1
- Las Vegas Council: Rice & Porter Spur Wizards to Classic Summer League Victory in Triple-OT
- Bradley Beal on Paul Pierce, Otto Porter, and Summer in Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Wake Up Late to Advance in NBA Summer League Tourney
- Las Vegas Council: Wizards Escape Heat, Move to 3-0 in Summer League
- VIDEO: Cassell on Porter & Rice: ‘Their swagger, you can see it from miles away’
- Happy Hookahs, #ArizaBruh: On the Departure of Trevor Ariza, Ex-Wizard