2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side C: The Voice of Vegas
THE VOICE OF SUMMER LEAGUE
This post is mostly just to share something I wrote at Summer League. Not about a basketball player, but about a basketball fan, like you and me.
I wouldn’t even have known about this story had it not been for Kevin Arnovitz, an excellent writer for ESPN.com, a leader of TrueHoop (and the Network), cultivator of TrueHoop TV, and
founder of ClipperBlog.com. Kevin had noticed Brett Salapa before, as have many others. I surely did in my previously two trips to Las Vegas, but obviously never long enough for him to register as a story.
This time, Kevin pointed me in the direction of Brett, the voice of Vegas Summer League, and that ultimately turned into a piece for ESPN TrueHoop that you can click here to read. Kevin also helped cultivate the final product. Brett has Asperger’s Syndrome, calls the games from the sideline like a play-by-play television announcer, and has been to every single Summer League in Las Vegas. Otherwise, yes, it is a special interest story, which for me seems hard to make ‘special’ without slathering on the ‘interest’ part, if you know what I mean. Ultimately, what made Brett himself reigned overall any other personal concern. His passion—we all have a passion—and telling the story of it became what mattered. And it was simply a fun piece to write; I can’t thank Brett and his mom enough for being willing to speak with me, and additional thanks goes to Kevin, of course. And… thanks to you for reading.
Prior to Summer League, the Wizards held a summer fest of sorts at the Verizon Center. Sholape Oriola (@lape14) attended for TAI. Let’s take a look-back at the event, scrimmage and interviews via his video below:
FINAL WORDOtherwise, I contributed the Otto Porter portion of ESPN TrueHoop’s “Final Word” on summer league headliners (yes, I’m sharing something posted three weeks ago). For more summertime over-analysis on Porter, you can check…
- Of Pace and Peaks and the Limits of Porter’s Potential - John Converse Townsend
- A Further Look at Otto Porter’s Summer League Performance and Athletic Reputation - Kyle Weidie
Point Guard Notes:
- Wizards summer league point guard Marquez Haynes has decided to take the sure money and has signed to play pro ball in Italy. [CSN Washington]
- Old backup point guard A.J. Price is still looking for work… [CSN Washington]
- And Jannero Pargo actually has an NBA job? News to me. [CSN Washington]
- The Mack: Waiting to Return, Hoping It’s the NBA (Ex-Wizards at Summer League)
- 2013 NBA Summer League Look-Back, Side B: Reporting from the Ground in Vegas
- Randy Wittman Said WHAT?! Highlights from His Courtside Interview with NBA TV
- REAX Game 3: Porter Pulls Up Lame, But Vesely Finds His Wings in Wizards Win
- REAX Game 1: Wizards Lose Opener in Lowest Scoring Game in Vegas Summer League History
- Wiz “Kids” No More: No Such Thing as a Vegas Vacation for Vesely and Singleton
- The Reaction: Wizards Summer League Game 5: Wiz Kids Cash Out In Vegas
- The Reaction: Wizards Summer League Game 4: Surviving Selby With A Rebounding Barrage