When Steve Buckhantz Was Given a Twitter Lesson by The WizzNutzz
Steve Buckhantz is whatever level exists beyond institution. He is his own society.
We’ve sometimes interacted over my years covering the Wizards. Polite chit-chat, etc.; nothing substantial. Call me the 6th grader walking by the cool high school kids smoking cigarettes by the tree where the cool high school kids hang out, and as the 12-year-old barely knowing what one knows and barely having seen what one has seen, you respect the presence of the institution with nary a glance.
Buckhantz is in his 58th year of life and his 17th season as a television voice of the Washington Wizards. Who knows where he came from (or rather, who came before him), but simply: “Buck” is.
Recently, Buck joined the Twitter conversation: @SteveBuckhantz.
It started on Nov. 25, 2013, with back-to-back tweets of the same picture of Marcin Gortat; has included a funny, frustrated tweet about the Redskins; has really and ‘totally’ supported the team; and has added an extra bonus to Wizards coverage for fans in a ‘Hey, he tweets during games!’ / cool, basketball-watching young grandpa type of way.
On Wednesday night, Mr. Buckhantz was taught a social media lesson by none other than the WizzNutzz. It wasn’t a harsh lesson. And what was learned is not always evident. But hearts shall be blessed, perhaps by Brazilian Nene, who texted, “Great stuff guys. Night, night,” to teammates after a big win in Philly, that Internet connections—friends—were made and Twitter tips where shared, with love.
Not all Storify accounts need to be long, especially lessons. Put on your thinking caps, let’s go over this once more.
(Pro Tip: Periods not needed before hashtags.)
- Four Games + Four Wins = No More Raptors
- DC Council Round 1, Game 2: Wizards at Raptors — Wall and Beal Make Light Work of Weighty Win
- Key Legislature: Wizards 117 at Raptors 106 — The Night the Lights Went Out on Maple Leaf Square
- DC Council Round 1, Game 1: Wizards at Raptors — The Year’s Best Dinosaur BBQ
- How Real is Paul Pierce at the 4? — Mythical vs. Extinct NBA Playoff Roundtable Part 2
- Which Raptor Scares You the Most? — Mythical vs. Extinct NBA Playoff Roundtable Part 1
- Opening Statements: Rd. 1, Gm. 1 — Reconciling Playoff #EffortTalk
- Key Legislature: Wizards 108 at Cavs 113 — Meaning for the Meaningless